Best way to start recording with my current equipment

Glover902

Hello,

I figure this might be a long shot but I currently have a Mesa Boogie 5:50+ Express 1x12 Combo, a Factal Axe fx, a bunch of good pedals, a powerful windows computer, a Yamaha mox6 and some sounds online orchestral packages and obviously guitars and I was wondering what would be the best way to connect them together to get some good recordings? I currently have no recording software on my PC and realise I'm going to have to spend some money to start but can point me in the right direction as I feel lost?

I feel I have all the parts but no idea how to connect them together to start making music? If you need anymore info I will provide it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and like I say I'm willing to buy additional items so all of this is not just sitting there being unused.

Thanks, Sam.

With your current gear, and with a trial/free version of any one of the popular DAWs, you could do this:

Guitar -> Axe Fx -> Computer (running the DAW)​

You'd be limited to the sounds the Axe Fx can produce, the amps/cabinets/effects it models, etc. With that same type of setup, maybe you could also do this (if the keyboard has a 1/4" output jack):

Keyboard -> Axe Fx -> Computer/DAW​

(Though I don't know if you'd want to run a keyboard through a guitar amp sim. And maybe that works only if the Axe Fx has line-level inputs...read the manual.)

However, with a bit more gear (specifically, a microphone + cable + stand, and an audio interface with at least one XLR input), you could also:

Guitar (or guitar->pedals) -> Mesa Boogie -> Microphone -> Audio Interface -> Computer/DAW
Keyboard -> Audio Interface (line-level inputs) -> Computer/DAW
Vocals -> Microphone -> Audio Interface -> Computer/DAW
Drums -> Microphone -> Audio Interface -> Computer/DAW
(noise making of any sort) -> Microphone -> Audio Interface -> Computer/DAW

The exact details of how those all fit together may depend on which noise-making device, mic, audio interface, and DAW you have, but that's the big picture of how it all fits together.

To sum up:

1. you have to get a DAW; there are free/trial versions you can mess around with until you find what's most intuitive for you to use
2. you may eventually want a microphone (or two...) and an audio interface to allow you to record more than just directly through the amp sim; starting out, a 2-channel interface and a not-too-expensive mic (and necessary cabling and stands) would work fine
3. spend time experimenting, learning what works (and what doesn't), and keep going

Last edited:
This. Yamaha MOX6 | Sound On Sound
Gives the keyboard a decent rep and also tells me it can act as an audio & MIDI interface as can the Fractal.
What the setup lacks however is any microphone capability, pre amps and phantom power.

It is seen as a bit heretical by some here but IMHO what you need is a mixer! The good side is that you could pick up a really cheap Behringer 2 mic jobby to play with and this would still have the line inputs to connect most if not all your other gear. If'twere I, I would use the Yamaha kbd as the interface and Cubase (comes with it?) as your DAW. Steeper learning curve than many but that review says the keys work best with Steinberg (well, they bought them!) software so go with the flow.

If that works out ok you could look for a better quality mixer with more inputs from such people as Soundcraft and Allen&Heath.

However! If there is a chance that some mates might get in on the act I would consider a multitrack AI such as the new Tascam 20-20.

Dave.

What you need to look at: where do I want to go with these recordings?
Do you just want to lay down some tracks to play along with?
Do you want to multitrack full songs and do post-recording production on them?
Do you want to release the song on an album/online for people to buy?

I had similar options of equipment (but different makes/models) as you when I started and got a USB mixer - it allowed me to use mics, have amps/keyboards plugged in all the time, and sent a USB signal to my DAW - but only 2 simultaneous tracks at one time, when they were panned 100% left and 100% right.
However, what this did NOT give me was very good monitoring options - this is what a dedicated audio interface will do. So if you are planning on multitracking/releasing songs I would consider the audio interface route.
I still have (live) use of my mixer, but never use it in the studio now.
For a DAW, I recommend that you look at Reaper - free to download the full uncrippled version. After a month they'll bug you to register it for $60, but its still the full version.

Thank you for the replies, I'm starting to understand what I need to do, I started trying to research online and felt like I came away just more confused then when I started haha.

I don't know how familiar people are with the Axe Fx but I have the first one so there's no USB to connect to to my computer. Would I need to connect it to an audio interface first and then into my computer?

I basically want to record both some tracks to play along with to start and then do post recording production to them as well.

So if I got an audio device I'd be able to connect the Axe Fx and the Yamaha to it and use them both? And then further down the line I can get a mic for the Mesa Boogie.

To be honest I was also considering just getting a midi controller instead of the Yamaha, I had a lot of trouble trying to connect it before the first time I tried.

Final question, for recordings can anyone recommend what to do for drums? A way I could program some maybe as having an actual drums isn't possible at the moment? I'm not sure what people would usually do on that front.

Thank you again for all the replies,
Sam.

Ok, so the Axe FX cannot interface with a computer? Actually limits choices and makes things easier!

As I said, you COULD use the Yamaha kbd as an interface but it would probably be better to get an AI as a stand alone device. To save a lot of re-plugging I suggest something with at least 4 independent audio inputs and can recommend the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. This has 2 mic/line/instrument front inputs and two more line ins at the rear. Thus the Yammy goes. L&R in the rear and you can plug the Ax FX into the front (is it stereo out?) . At a later date when you get an amp you can plug one or two mics into the KA6 instead.

The while, the kbd can be connected to the MIDI ports on the KA6 and the data recorded. The AI comes with a "lite" copy of Cubase, nothing better for MIDI work and the software also has a drum VSTi so that solves that problem (not THE best drums perhaps and limited but you will have the MIDI data and so can trigger a better drum app in the future. BFD Eco is pretty good for the money) .

An AI with more line inputs is the Focusrite 18i8 and the range has recently been re-vamped and gives lower latency and better headroom. Also check out the Tascam and Roland "capture" range but, ASK HERE FIRST before you commit cash! The specifications, especially with regard to I/O count can be confusing.

Note, due to the Yamaha's close ties with Steinberg I would strongly consider Cubase as your main DAW.

Dave.

The FX unit in the .pdf has two analogue outputs, left and right. Two on balanced XLR and two on unbalanced jacks. These would plug into the line inputs, front or rear of any AI you chose. Use jacks unless you are using very long cables.

However, the FX box also has a digital "S/PDIF" output (and input, more on that later) and many AIs, the KA6 certainly, have such connectors. Not only would a digital connection free up analogue inputs for other purpose (e.g. Keys into rear line ins, Axe FX S/PDIF and front inputs can be mics. Six tracks!) but such a connection would avoid any possible earth, aka "ground" loops.

S/PDIF in. This can I am sure be linked to the AI's S/PDIF output. Not sure how you can utilize that, re-amping? Use the FX box as an outboard device? You have a lot of reading to do and I am sure a LOT of fun in store!

Dave.

RE your question on drums - once you have a DAW (like Reaper) and have learned it a bit, look at virtual drum software like EZDrummer

RE your question on drums - once you have a DAW (like Reaper) and have learned it a bit, look at virtual drum software like EZDrummer

I installed a magazine "lite" freebie of EZD some years ago. Never got it to work right (but then I am a PC numpty) but when I came to remove it? WOW! The crap it left in my Registry was Biblical!

BFD Eco is a decent low CPU hit drum program.

Dave.

Okay so everything has arrived today, I've set up the Komplete audio, connected it to my computer and Axe FX via input 1 and put headphones in. When I play guitar the input 1 is lighting up to say it's picking up the guitar but there is no sound?

Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Thanks, Sam.

Okay so everything has arrived today, I've set up the Komplete audio, connected it to my computer and Axe FX via input 1 and put headphones in. When I play guitar the input 1 is lighting up to say it's picking up the guitar but there is no sound?

Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Thanks, Sam.

Yes, a couple of things. Have you got 1/2 selected for the headphones output? Have you got 1/2 selected for "MONITOR" and the control advanced? And I KNOW you want to get bashing the axe but the logical way to progressive with an audio setup is almost always from output back to input. Play a Ytube track or a CD or anything else computer generated. Once you know that part of the system is "live" you can move on.

You will I am sure be up and running very soon so here are some things to check..
In the DAW software (which is?) have you setup for the NI ASIO drivers? Once this is done you can go into the KA6 control panel and set the latency. Try 256 samples for a start. If that gives you too much delay when software monitoring (when you want a SW effect for example) you should be able to knock it down to 128, even 64 samples.

Here all night, feel free!

Dave.

Didn't have the monitor on the correct one! It's working now and I was able to record guitars, thank you so much! It's currently really quiet though even with everything turned all the way up. I'm sure that's just something to do with my headphones or setting that i will figure out though.

The Daw I'm using is the cubase that comes with Komplete. I'll set the drivers and latency up now.

Thank you again, Sam.

Didn't have the monitor on the correct one! It's working now and I was able to record guitars, thank you so much! It's currently really quiet though even with everything turned all the way up. I'm sure that's just something to do with my headphones or setting that i will figure out though.

The Daw I'm using is the cubase that comes with Komplete. I'll set the drivers and latency up now.

Thank you again, Sam.

Very welcome! Pleased it was a quick fix. Take your time with the Cubase setup, it is pretty complex but well worth the effort.

Regarding levels. I cannot recall but does Cubase come with a set of demo tracks? (be under "additional content" or something similar) If so play that and see how the levels come out. I am sure you will crack it.
IIRC Cubase's meters do not have dB markings? You need to shoot for an average about 1/2 way up the scale when recording.

You are going to be busy for a few days!

Dave.

Back