Best way to learn?

tamsa

Hello,

I'm looking for advice. In your opinion, what is the best most productive way to learn music production? I hesitate is it worth to go to the university for music production studies? Or maybe there is other more effective way? I would be very grateful to hear your opinion! :)

University study of music production is not absolutely necessary, but it can help you learn only the right techniques. Youtube for example, has had a combination of the best and worst advice on music/audio production since it started, and the same goes for forums. Regardless of where you learn, make sure that you are using your ears and not solely listening to somebody else's opinion and treating it as fact. As someone who goes to school for audio and has also spent about a decade researching these topics, I know that both have been very helpful for learning, though most importantly, my ears have been more important than anything else.
The most productive way to learn is to try things for yourself, but also listen to the experts when needed. Never underestimate how important room acoustics are. In my opinion, Room acoustics are the most important aspect of music production besides your ears, because if a bad room ends up in a recording it is impossible to fix later on. I would also recommend listening to records from every decade rather than just modern top 40 recordings. You can instantly hear the differences between each recording and start to understand the artistic side of record production, as well as how gear and production styles have changed over the years. So overall, use your ears, make sure your room is optimal, listen to other people's work, and don't listen to amateurs on the internet. :)

University study of music production is not absolutely necessary, but it can help you learn only the right techniques. Youtube for example, has had a combination of the best and worst advice on music/audio production since it started, and the same goes for forums. Regardless of where you learn, make sure that you are using your ears and not solely listening to somebody else's opinion and treating it as fact. As someone who goes to school for audio and has also spent about a decade researching these topics, I know that both have been very helpful for learning, though most importantly, my ears have been more important than anything else.
The most productive way to learn is to try things for yourself, but also listen to the experts when needed. Never underestimate how important room acoustics are. In my opinion, Room acoustics are the most important aspect of music production besides your ears, because if a bad room ends up in a recording it is impossible to fix later on. I would also recommend listening to records from every decade rather than just modern top 40 recordings. You can instantly hear the differences between each recording and start to understand the artistic side of record production, as well as how gear and production styles have changed over the years. So overall, use your ears, make sure your room is optimal, listen to other people's work, and don't listen to amateurs on the internet. :)

Thank you for such comprehensive answer! ;))

Yeah - I'm no expert but I get the impression almost everyone underestimates the importance of room treatment/acoustics when they start. The whole thing is just so un-glamorous when you're trying to spend what little money you have on shiny new mics and guitars etc. At nearly 40, I've only just realized that a cheap mic can actually work quite well in a treated room. And Much Much better than a Neumann in a bad room.

The short answer - the best way to learn is by doing.

Making mistakes and learning from them is invaluable. There's plenty of free ways of learning the basics.

Hello,

I'm looking for advice. In your opinion, what is the best most productive way to learn music :)

By doing it.
Yes there are plenty of rescources that will give you information (both good and bad)
But hands on experience is the only way to really master any craft.

Let's take a kid for example...... you can 'teach' him to not put his hands on a hot stove. Useless. Yet the first time he actually feels the burn, he has fully learned a lesson that will stay with him for a lifetime.

If you do end up going to school, make sure there's lots of hands on in the program.

We learn by doing.
:D

Define "music production". Oddly enough there are many different views of what that means.

What are your goals? What do you see yourself doing as a "producer"?

Do you have a musical background? Play any instruments? Have any songwriting skills?

Engineering, tracking and mixing skills? Any knowledge of scales and theory?

Do you have an ear that will enable you to assist other musicians achieve the sound they are striving for?

Can't recommend next steps without knowing what platform you are jumping off from.

Not trying to shoot you down here at all, just trying to understand where you're coming from and where you want to go.

I would advise getting as much feedback as possible. If you are trying something new in recording, get feedback. If you have any questions, ask them. If you completed a song, share it. You only have 1 set of ears, so having multiple people listen is the key to focus on what to learn.

Back