Best Recording/Software Technology for a Newbie

Can you explain what you mean by a "Paragraph" feature. I'd be willing to bet that it does or with reapers ability to combine several functions into one would allow you to achieve your goal of such a feature.

I've also used several DAWs over the past 8 years or so but Reaper is the one I swear by now as opposed to swearing at my others! It does all the recording things and editing that all the others do but its the way reaper treats efx and midi that really set it apart from all the others. It treats everything as an efx. example: open a virtual instrument track from the Insert menu and all you have to do is drag and drop any virtual instrument into the fx box ( could be keys, synths, drums etc) then simply set the track for record output, assign your midi input Ie a real midi keyboard or the virtual one from the View drop down menu, hit record and play...or open the midi editor by double clicking on the track and use the "piano scroll" to "paint in" triggers for your virtual instrument. You want to add compression, delay, reverb and EQ? just drop them into the same "box" with the virtual instrument and adjust to taste...what could be easier. Making loops is so simple. create a measure or two of a drum track or any other instrument and then just grab the end with the automatic "hook" and pull it our for as many measures as you wish. Any of the other DAWs I've used make you go through all of these artificial barriers to get VI / midi to work while reaper treats everything the same. And just to clear a point you can down load and use the full version reaper with nothing disabled and as long as you want for free. They only ask if you intend to keep using it that you pay $60 for a personal/small business license and $250 for full blown studio pro work. Not to mention that included free up grades from when you start to the next full generation of the program. So if you come in on say Reaper 4.5 you get free upgrades until 5.5 and in my case I've received easily 50 or 60 free upgrades on my license and have not gotten near my renewal fee yet. Also Reaper instruction ... Download the free pfd manual..it has tons of tutorials not to mention all the free reaper tutorial videos on you tube or reaper wiki both pro and end user. I've never and I truly mean never had a product with as much support as reaper. It even has a downloadable quick start menu to get you up and running in minutes. As far as editing between the drop down menus and the tools bars plus being able to customize both to put functions in order to fit your style and work flow, reaper is the best deal on the planet for price, quality, the amount of efx and tools it comes with, compatibility with all the free vsti's and third party efx and it's damn near crash proof. I've introduced reaper to several of my friends that were using pro tools, samplitude, cubase etc and they are to a man all using reaper now..even a friend that was using a roland 24 channel all in one box (VS 2480) has gone the reaper/computer route a year ago and is still knocked out how easy it is to get and make great recordings over the results he had with the roland.
^^^^I meant it was impossible for me to read this.^^^^^^^

It was a joke. :eek:

do you have an interface to record to and a decent but not expens condenser mic or dynamic mic? you can get protools with the avid fast track solo and duo interfaces I would recommend starting there as protools express has vsts which are virtual instruments that you can you use to back the piano up and there is a decent amount of plug ins that come with it and plenty of free plug ins out there but the disadvantage is protools express does not work on Yosemite if you have a mac becareful that it doesn't have Yosemite as you will keep getting error messages. Cubase and a lexicon alpha or omega may be a good idea but it comes with le and minimal effects and no vsts unless you buy the focusrite scarlet 2i2 studio bundle which comes with free focusrite plug ins that sound decent there is ableton livet that comes with the scarlet 2i2 I hope this helps

"Do you have an interface to record to and a decent but not expensive condenser or dynamic mic?
You can get Protools with the Avid Fast Frack solo and duo interfaces I would recommend starting there as Protools express has VSTs which are virtual instruments that you can you use to back the piano up and there is a decent amount of plug ins that come with it and plenty of free plug ins out there,
The disadvantage is, Protools express does not work on Yosemite. If you have a mac be careful that it doesn't have Yosemite as you will keep getting error messages.
Cubase and a Lexicon alpha or omega may be a good idea but it comes with LE and minimal effects and no VSTs unless you buy the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 studio bundle which comes with free Focusrite plug ins that sound decent. There is Ableton live that comes with the scarlet 2i2. I hope this helps."

Better? I have no formal qualifications in English so that will be far from "Oxbridge perfection" but I HAVE spent s lifetime reading!

Hmm? Doesn't paste from Word quite as I expected but at least there are gaps and capitols (I ain't doing the biggy!)
Dave.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Sorry I haven't replied to the suggestions earlier; I've been away at school and haven't had time to come back to the forums. I've actually looked at Reaper before, so I wasn't too surprised by the recommendation. I'll definitely check the demo out; after looking at some online tutorials, it seems like the project is fairly intuitive (or at least as intuitive as something like this can be to someone new to recording technology). I'm mostly concerned with recording technology that captures a warm acoustic sound while allowing me to incorporate more synthetic qualities. It's also important for me to have technology to take some field recordings. Now to look into some quality microphones....

Back