Best mic to use for recording Metal vocals?

Privacles

Okay I have a question? Would a Shure SM58 mic be pretty good for recording Screaming Hardcore Metal vocals. I'm thinking a condenser mic and a pop filter would be at best. The guy has a physical attachment for this mic Shure mic. Is there a go to method for this. Just curious about what the pro bands use in studio. My friend really wants to use his SM58 would it make a difference using something else. I would like to say his voice is pretty matched with the singers/vocals to the band Lamb of God.

I would guess that pro metal scream dudes use dynamic mics, although I'm sure there's (like always...) exceptions.

I guarantee you couldn't go wrong with Shure sm7b or EV re320 (or re20 if you've got a bit extra).

I would guess that pro metal scream dudes use dynamic mics, although I'm sure there's (like always...) exceptions.

I guarantee you couldn't go wrong with Shure sm7b or EV re320 (or re20 if you've got a bit extra).

^^^^^This, emphatically.

The Shure sm7b looks like the go to mic for Metal. Thanks for the help

No prob! I'd give the sm58 a shot since you already have it...you might like it. If not, I'd give the sm7b or something like that a go! It's just a handy mic to have around!

If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, go for 7b. But the times I've had the cookie monster vocal guys in I put up a 58 and let 'em spit.

I'm a big fan of the 7b as a "go to" vocal mic for nearly any situation - But I have to admit, I need to try that RE320 thing just for the bad-ass factor alone.

I'm a big fan of the 7b as a "go to" vocal mic for nearly any situation - But I have to admit, I need to try that RE320 thing just for the bad-ass factor alone.

You should get one! It's straight sexy-looking! :D I pulled mine out of the case a few days ago just to look at it!

I'll agree that the 7b and RE20 (58 too) are go-to mics for Metal stuff, but RE20 and sm58 don't get the top end presence that I prefer. Sure a little top end EQ spruces it up, but I often go with a big condenser for the screamers. The 7b is a meet-in-the-middle mic, which is probably why it's the first choice for many and highly recommended for this application.

I know the 7B has made it on Lamb of God records (vocals) and Devildriver records.

So it's probably a safe bet.

Geez, the 7b is on more records than... I mean, it's the friggin' 7b. Thriller (biggest selling album of all time), St. Anger (the only thing that sounded good on the record was the vocals - that poor mic... If you saw that "Some Kind of Monster" DVD, you'd know what it was up against).

It's not like a lot of records list what vocal mic they use -- But it's also not like I can walk into just about any studio on the planet and not see a 7b or RE20 as a nearly permanent fixture in the vocal room...

It's early - I hope the double-negative indicated that I do indeed typically see some sort of LDD in the vocal room of just about every studio I've ever been in...

I'll agree that the 7b and RE20 (58 too) are go-to mics for Metal stuff, but RE20 and sm58 don't get the top end presence that I prefer. Sure a little top end EQ spruces it up, but I often go with a big condenser for the screamers. The 7b is a meet-in-the-middle mic, which is probably why it's the first choice for many and highly recommended for this application.

I find the RE20 to be very condenser like in quality, and use it for my own vocals almost exclusively:

I don't think the 58 is comparable, and I have no experience with the SM 7b

Go for a large digraph condenser mic. Sm58 is a dynamic mic and these mics are used specially in the live shows where there is too much sound disturbance at that place , condenser mics are good only for the studio recordings , cause they are too sensitive , they can even catch a very low voice from outside the recording place ... Since they are sensitive they can record your voice more descriptively ... But since your genre is metal rock I think sm58 would also work

Try Behringer c-1 condenser mic , it is cheap will cost you 40$ only and have worked out for me with my rap vocals

Back