Best mic to use for recording Metal vocals?

Stay away from condensers, and go with dynamics. 7b is a great choice. Beyer M-88 or Senn HD-421 are good choices too. I would choose an sm 58-57 over a condenser any day for screaming type vocals.

it sounds odd but i am a big fan of the SM7B. it is a broadcast mic but i have found it works very well on metal vocals.

it is a broadcast mic but (snip)
It's (and of course, add the RE20, PR40, etc. to the list) a slow, heavy coil dynamic that's made to react well to and still flatter the human voice. That certainly makes it a great broadcast mic - and they all have certainly grown into some of the most popularly used broadcast mics on the planet - and for some odd reason they're frequently marketed as broadcast mics -- but at the core, they're great vocal mics that just happen to be great broadcast mics - Not the other way around.

Come to think of it, I remember when I started seeing "Broadcast Mic" sections in catalogs some time back... Maybe that's where they started getting pigeon-holed... I remember when AMF still owned Harley-Davidson too (and they're still trying to get over that one).

condenser mics are good only for the studio recordings

Off-topic, but this is wildly incorrect. Condensers are used almost exclusively for live overheads, in my experience, and there are a ton of condenser mics with patterns suited just fine for use with live vocals. The Beta 87A and KMS104 (and KMS105) are just a few hand-helds that come to mind that I've seen used a lot with no more feedback issues than any other mics.

On-topic - SM7b or one of those EVs, like everyone else said...

Back