Best laptop for everyday use and music production

Daniapd

Hi
I´m looking forward to buy a new computer for everday use (web surfing, office,) but since I would like to start using music production software (like cubase and ableton) I would like my laptop to have i7 8th generation processor and at least 8GB of Ram. Right now i have two options and im not sure which one to pick.

Acers' lapto has 256 GB SSD memory but Ram memory is DDR3 while Dell's laptop has ddr4 ram memory.

Any toughts?
Dell Inspiron I5570_i7F82TGSW10s_218 Portatil 15.6" FHD, Intel Core i7 4GHz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Disco Duro, Windows 10, color Gris: Amazon.com.mx: Electronicos

Acer Aspire 5, 43,9 cm Full HD, 8th Gen Intel Core i7 - 8550u, GeForce MX150, 12 GB memoria DDR4, 256 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, A517 - 51 - g-8433: Amazon.com.mx: Electronicos

Jesus....

Both laptops will do just fine, mate. Lol they’ll handle anything you throw at it unless you’re planning on doing 50+ tracks productions?

I wouldn't get less than 16GB of RAM in a system these days.

P.S. One thing that's interesting is that none of these seem to list the ports that are available. Someone here was just looking at a new UA interface that required Thunderbolt 3. I suspect neither of these notebooks has that. Checking the Dell site, the 557x line has lots of USB 3.0, which is probably fine. For Thunderbolt 3, youd need to go to the Dell XPS line at this time. (I didn't research Acer.)

Jus' askin' cos Ah done know....My understanding of TB3 in other than macs is that it is 'not quite there yet' (SoS forum) and could be a problem with some AIs? Firewire Deja vu?

Then, if one got a TB3 ONLY AI it would not work on virtually anything else? I would look at RME and get best of both, TB& USB 3.0.

Also i7, is it really worth the heat, fan noise, cost and battery pull over a latest generation i5? Again, just a PC numptie's readings...

Dave.

Macbook Pro is the king for anything you want to do. BUT EXPENSIVE! I'm not buying any other brand until someone else can beat it.

I've owned laptops by Toshiba, HP, and Acer--all have been okay but gradually developed problems. However, I'm now on my third Lenovo and they've all performed flawlessly (the reason I'm on my third was that I was able to justify new machines for me by giving the old ones to family!).

One thing I like about Lenovo is that, if you order online, you can do a lot of customisation to spend money on things you need but not waste it on other bits.

Bob

Hi,
I'm not so experienced with recording but I know well computers. First I would recommend a Dell computer over Acer, they are usually more durable and have good support.
Any of the two would be powerfull for web surfing, office etc. If you plan on playing 3d games that's another story but you don't to be a gamer from this post. For music production it depends also what kind of recording you are planing to do... Are you going to record an orchestra with 64 instruments or just one track at a time. Are you planing to mix more than 16 tracks in a song? Are you planing to use tons of pluggins ? Are you recording songs that are 30 minutes or more? If you plan to record a regular band with 8-10 tracks 8 GB should be enough I think. You wouldn't notice any difference between ddr3 and ddr4.
It's a good idea to have an ssd for your Windows and application and another hard drive for your files but it could be an external hard drive. Also maybe you could order directly from the website of Dell (or Acer) for the waranty and more custom choices etc.
Here I made some search for you for a dell with 12 GB and ssd drive View attachment 102514

Back