Best Home studio Equip..

StudioNewBee

Ok guys,
I am new to the studio side of music if you cant tell by my login. :confused: This is my issue... I am trying to start my own home studio to get into the recording side of things. I am deployed in Kuwait and currently learning Pro Tools from watching another Soldier use the program. I have also heard that Sonar was good equip. to use. I was a music major in college so I have a good understanding of what to do but I need to know whats best for my buck... I am looking at the Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini Recording Bundle located on the MusiciansFriend website and that is pretty much what this other guy is using. I currently use Fruityloops for making the instrumentas now and want to buy a synth later that will make it easier to record background cords. Before I go out and buy it I thought I would consult others that knew a little more about recording. Any info can help. Thanks a bunch for everything!

The Mbox2 mini that youre talking about should give you a good starting point for your homestudio. As you probably know it comes with pro tools like your friend is using. Maybe you have or haven't seen but it comes with a few programs to create virtual instruments which it seems that you might be interested in. This will give you a good foundation in which you can start making songs.

But if are interested more in using the virtual instruments, you could buy the Mbox 2 (not mini). This would give you MIDI inputs so that you could add a midi controller to write your music. If your keyboard synth didn't have midi control then you are stuck with the presets on your keyboard. Hopefully this is fairly clear to understand..

Hope everything is going well for you. I'll answer your questions the best I can. Good luck. Eric.

Thanks for the help!

Hey, Thanks for the help Eric! One question that I do have is about that MIDI Controller that you talked about. With purchasing a MIDI controller,will that be just like on the keyboard in which you will not be able to change your sounds from the presets?? I did a google search for midi controllers and I did see that they had more functions than a regular keyboard. The question lies in the way to get new sounds other than those presets... Memory cards? Download online??? Or just stuck???

Kyle
AKA
True Newbie!

Best home recording

Hey Kyle

I think Eric is to something....

Look here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2Pro/

and here
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Pro?sku=241801

I am not telling you to buy this one, but it will grow with you better, than the mini.

I am not sure which is the best deal, did not read them thoroughly....
But what I do know.
Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro:
This unit has firewire, not usb like the mini.
Firewire would be so much faster.
I did notice more in's and out's, and also more in's on phantom power for mics. It is also a midi in and out.

More dollars now, and will grow with you >
later might want to get rid of the mini.
It is an American way, so many decisions.

Hey thanks for your service to our country.
God bless you and your buddies.....
We pray for all of you.
Hope this gets you thinking, ah not too much!
Gary

A standard midi controller will have no sounds in it, but will allow you to control the virtual instruments in your computer. Most any modern keyboard will have midi ins and outs for use as a midi controller though.

Could you tell us what are you planning on recording? You might want to consider getting ProTools M-Powered with M-Audio gear so you are not stuck only on Digidesign's realm.

types

Im starting off recording Lyrics and hooks to origional R&B and Rap tunes... I will later want to do some recording of horns such as trumpet,trombone etc. As of now though just vocal....Tnx!

Back