Best EQ Plugins?

I really loved the MOTU Masterworks EQ that came with Digital Performer. I was spoiled in that it was my first EQ I used.

I also like Waves SSL.

I really just use the console plugins that come with Reason now. I have a control surface mapped out for that console, so my work flow is very fast!

But honestly, there’s tons and tons and tons of good EQ plugins out there. Asking this question is like asking, “what is the best candy?”

You may get popular answers like M&Ms and Twizzlers, but in the end, it’s down to taste, and all these different plugins have different applications and sound (flavors) from each other.

It also depends on what DAW you are using. Some things are only available in specific plugin formats. Some of the most popular at this time seem to be the emulations of mic pre's with eq. These usually enable adding some harmonic saturation along with eqs. For more surgical, less colored work some of the most popular include Fab Filter products, the waves Q series, etc.

I second the Waves SSL EQ.

Alan.

I’ve never done a test to compare the Waves SSL and the SSL 9000 emulation EQ that comes with reason. AFAIK, the SSL console in Reason was never supposed to model the sound of SSL like the Waves plugin, but it was rather meant to just model the look and workflow. I’ll have to do a comparison when I have the means.

The SSL I like most is the SSL G-Equalizer, which actually on special right now, I don't know if it is like a real SSL but I like the top end (adds nice air) and the notch characteristics, seems very smooth and natural.

Alan.

Last edited:
Fabfilter Pro Q is my favorite. But that s personal taste I suppose.

Way better than stock Cubase Eq's I have used. Much more translucent and clean IMO. Obviously the cost is not cheap. Get what you pay for. Usually...

Slate's stuff is all very good indeed. Get their plug bundle. Also, though it's a bit expensive, Acustica's White2 mastering EQ is crazy good. Acustica has many EQ plugins worth checking out.

I also really like the Pro Tools and Waves versions of Pultec MEQ and EQP. Couple of my personal faves: PIA millennia NSEQ-2, elysia museq, lindell te100, spl passeq, maag eq's

If you want to step away from the "been there, done that" style of EQs, of which there are many that pretty much do that about equally well, with mild differences unless it's an EQ modeled after something specific...check out the Kush Audio plugins. :cool:

They have a few plugins...but their Clariphonic and Electra EQs are particularly both interesting in what/how they work and generally sound great almost no matter how you use them.
These are truly "musical" EQs...a term that gets used a lot, but I've not heard anywhere before where it applied as well.

These are not meat-n-potatoes EQs or to be used for surgical slicing, though they certainly can "fix" tone problems...rather they are more for bringing out various character points in recorded tracks, to mold the sound, but unlike other EQ's where if you boost bands things can sound really weird...these just sound good even when you overdo it.
It's like when something tastes really good, and you just can't stop. :D

They have a new subscription option if you don't want to buy them outright...but they also run sales from time to time.
I have all their plugs...and because I love their software EQs so much, I've acquired the same EQs in hardware form, which is what the plugs are modeled after. The hardware takes things to an even higher level of what the plugs give you...and I wanted to add the hardware for use on my OTB side.

The House of Kush

Back