Best Budget Home Recording Set-up with $500

Srleblanc2008

Hello everyone. I am completely new to home recording and have recently purchased the book for dummies on recording. I was just wondering in your guy's opinion what woul dbe the best way to go for $500. I will be recording with an acoustic and an electric guitar, vocals, keyboard and harmonica, at some point drums maybe, but that can come later. I am mostly focused on the guitar, keyboard, and vocals. I will be running it off of my laptop and out of my apartment. Thanks for everyone who helps.

Last edited:
Way too many choices really. You should research the available software programs out there and hardware to get the audio in/out of the laptop and the pricing for your budget.
Once you have narrowed down to something that interests you, come back and ask for opinions to help you select.
I could say "you should get this" but then 10 others will recommend something else.
Look for products that have been proven and reliable which are mentioned throughout the forum.

Way too many choices really. I could say "you should get this" but then 10 others will recommend something else.
Look for products that have been proven and reliable which are mentioned throughout the forum.

+1 to that!

What are your laptop specs? (i.e. Is is realistic to utilize your existing computer for recording??)
Mac or PC?
What's your objective? (e.g. demo, thinespace, CD's to sell at shows, radio?)
What existing equipment do you have, if any?

I am in a situation similar to the OP.

I have been researching the various aspects of setting up home recording equipment for the last couple of weeks, and there is so, so, so, so MUCH - that just getting started is pretty overwhelming.

I've read about interfaces, monitors, headphones, preamps, mics, and a lot of stuff in between.

I'll give a run-down of my current plan and maybe someone can tell me if I'm on the right track, or point me in the right direction from here.

Wanting to do project recording in my apartment of acoustic guitar/vocals and maybe keyboard. Using a pretty new laptop, probably with Audacity.

Loosely Planning to purchase:
Small diaphragm condenser mic for guitar (MXL 991/990 package)
large diaphragm condenser mic for vocals (MXL 991/990 package, $85)
studio monitors (krk RP-6, $150)
headphones (sennheiser HD-280, $100 or sony MDR-V6, $70)
audio interface (Tascam US144 USB 2.0, $125)

so thats a total of about $450, but doesn't include mic stands and cables.

what do you guys think of that as a low-cost setup for a beginner? recommend changes? am i wasting money on the headphones that should go towards better mics or something similar?

your thoughts and comments are appreciated

Keep in mind, if you plan to use condenser mics you will need a preamp which has phantom power or the signal will be too low to be of any real use. For a laptop you will also need a USB interface, these come come in a variety from 2 inputs and go up (both in price and number of inputs) depending on how many inputs you need and how much you want to spend. Good mics are a vital part of recording, get at least 1 Sure 57, one of the most versatile mics available. Good headphones are most useful for tracking, good monitors are more useful for mixing and editing. Don't forget, the room you plan to record in needs to sound good to start with. Even a little room treatment (bass traps, diffusors/absorbtion panels etc.) will make a big difference when recording. Recording software is a matter of personal choice, most have limited or trial versions you can download and try (for free) before you buy, some are much easier to learn than others. From what you described wanting to do, N-Tracks might be a good choice, but use a program you are comfortable with. Audacity is good to learn the basics of digi recording but it does have it's limitations. Check out the Tweakheadz website, you'll get a good idea of the gear available, approximate prices, and a basic description of what it does. And don't forget to be patient and have fun.

Back