Best Beginner USB Mic that wont break the bank?

Hysteria

Hi this is my first post here. So I am looking for a good quality mic to record vocals, I think i only want a USB Mic because that seems good to start out with. What USB mic would you guys recommend that wont cost me a fortune? (Preferably not over 100 - 150 Ducks) I was looking at the AT2020 USB mic by audio technica, is this a good quality mic for beginners?

I've heard some people speak well of the AT2020 USB but the other one you may wish to look at would be the Blue Yeti which also sounds very good and should be well within your price range.

However, I have to ask what things you want to record? If you just want to record a podcast or audiobook and will only ever need one mic, then a USB mic might be for you. However, if you're planning to start recording music, I'd strongly suggest you up your budget slightly and get a USB audio interface and an XLR microphone.

Why? First, the monitoring options on most USB mics are useless. On most of them you have to use the built in sound card on your computer to feed your headphones--which means a round trip via your computer and lots of latency. Even most basic USB interfaces have "direct hardware monitoring" which allows you to listen to a mix of what you're recording and backing tracks on the computer. It'll also use ASIO drivers which are hugely superior for any serious recording. Finally, a USB mic is a dead end if you ever decide you want to add a second mic or even just a different mic for different source material.

Interesting.. Well lets say i Decided i don't want a USB mic, What would be a good mic you would recommenced for recording vocals like anything from rap to Instrumental stuff? (Still in my price range of 100 - 150).

Back