Best Audio Interface Under 1000

Willyc510

So I'm in a unique situation.
I have an isolation room that's big enough for a whole band, a 3.4 GHz processing computer, 15 different microphones but no audio interface.
I've recorded before using little tascam US-122mkll but nothing to this scale.
I have just been given 1000 dollars to buy the best audio interface I can get given my set up.

It needs to have 8+ inputs, USB 2.0 or 3.0, pre-amps and be under 1000 dollars.

I've looked at PreSonus 1818vsl but I want something with higher quality.

Any suggestions?

An "input" is a vague term.... need to know how many mic input/preamps you need. 8?

Different thing from line inputs... but they're all inputs..

The apogee and RME units get alot of love,if i were you i would try out a few of them from a store with a 30 day back guarantee like zzsounds.com until you find what you like.

I just got the M-Audio Fast track Ultra 8R for under $400. It is absolutely awesome! I am new to recording and this makes it really easy. It was simple to install on my Macbook and Garage Band recognized it immediately and it works great. It has USB 2.o AND firewire. It has 8 line/mic ins with pre-amps and phantom power (if needed). It has 2 headphone outs on the front and lots more out that you can mix easily with its software out the back. The software is easy to use and it has nice meters so you can set the gain where you want it. Take a close look at this interface and ask me any questions you want. I know it has a lot of features that I do not use or understand yet, but it was easy to start using and I am sure I will grow into the other features.

The RME stuff is pretty ace, but the fireface only has four mic amps built in and is more than $1000
If you could go for a firewire interface - the Lexicon I-O FW810s is a pretty good alternative, and it should be well in budget.

I've just been updating this article on multitrack interfaces in response to your question, and it's got a few other alternatives you might find useful depending on your application.

Click on the image.

If the quality of it's lesser brethren are any indication it should be fairly kickass.

Back