Best audio interface for a newbie.. Live instruments drums guitars etc.

Sonorous

Hi guys,

Getting my first pc built.
I am requiring an interface that has 8 inputs for drums to be recorded on sep tracks.

So far have come across the TASCAM US-16x08.

Would this be sufficient? I know it has 16 inputs but just sussing out weather this would be the right direction to head into for a entry level?

Ill be running windows 10 so am hoping for a good reliable product that would keep up to date with drivers for the new OS.

I was looking at the presonus 16.0.2 but am turned off by what I've read regarding having to get a pci firewire and conflicting drivers etc with the mother board I have in my build list. (X99A Gaming 7)

thanks.

I would go for the Tascam. The USB multi-track range have enjoyed a fine reputation as unfussy interfaces, yes there have been isolated cases of trouble but there will always be SOME combination of MOBO and interface that just does not get on!

IMHO there is simply no longer any advantage in the extra complication, cost and restrictions of FWire or TB unless you need massive tack counts.

Eight mic inputs is perhaps the minimum for a drumkit and a 4 piece but the AI also has 8 more line inputs so a preamp or two or a mixer with inserts (better direct outs) can be used to expand the system......

Er? Now I am by NO means any kind of PC guru but is a "gaming" MOBO the best choice? I know they are powerful but in the right way or departments? At the very least you might be paying more for a gamer and get the same performance (for audio) cheaper elsewhere (then spend the dosh on mics and the room!).

There are plenty of top computer brains here of course but also get thee over to soundonsound.com and have a look and an ask.

Dave.

Thanks Dave much appreciated.

This pc build was initially for just gaming, but since the build is costing quite a bit and is more than capable I thought I should utilise it for a recording platform also.

I guess you're right that I should look into a mobo that may be ideal for both.

Cheers.

Thanks Dave much appreciated.

This pc build was initially for just gaming, but since the build is costing quite a bit and is more than capable I thought I should utilise it for a recording platform also.

I guess you're right that I should look into a mobo that may be ideal for both.

My limited understanding is that although there are many things in common with gaming and "fast" audio, top CPU grunt, lots of good ram* some things are at odds?
One, AFAIK is graphics? For games you naturally want the absolute best resolutions and low "smear". This is of no consequence for recording and I think many guys here with otherwise "Deep Thought" mega setups, still run the stock graphics card?

Then, way back in the past I seem to recall that some graph card caused glitches in top line audio systems (something you would simply not notice in a game running 2 bog S audio channels) ?
It is in any even one of the performance tweaks to turn off all the visual "tricks" for audio.

Whatever you do you will absolutely need a PASSIVELY cooled graph card!

*Doh! Forgot (told you I was no guru!) I did not know until recently that W7 Home was limited to 16G of ram? That's a lot, now, but might be as well to bear it in mind for the W10 freebie upgrade?

Dave.

Hey Dave,

My pc is being installed/built with windows 10.
Since I've obtained information stating that my mac laptop would suffice I might just use that solely for recording music with.
Thanks.

If you use a gaming system and using it for audio, you may have to tweak the system when switching. Since you have another computer and the TASCAM supports both OS types, depending on the DAW license you may want to switch between the two. I expect the major interfaces will support Win10 with drivers as I expect most of Win10 will be GUI and cross hardware consistency.

If you are just doing the typical home recording, you probably will have little to no issues between either computers.

In regards to micing drums, there are a few choices, you can either use the 4 mic set up (Kick, snare OH) which give a pretty good setup if your room is decent. Or you can add in mics for the Toms for three more mics. Drums are a hard nut to crack, so don't get hung up on just one way.

Back