Berklee online music production courses - any opinions?

I would check youtube first to see if some of those subjects are already being covered for free. While I suspect the course would be full of useful stuff, I'm also sure that you could accumulate the knowledge for free through other means.

I can tell you two things --

I know about a zillion "engineers" that have certificates, diplomas and credentials of all sorts that have absolutely no idea at all. I mean no idea. I've heard some of the most ridiculous things touted as absolute fact, I've seen utter confusion at the board from the same people with no "ear" whatsoever. I've had some of these people trying to tell me how to do my job two weeks out of school.

I also know a lot of great engineers with credentials -- The thing is, every single one of them that I know personally was a great engineer before he/she had those credentials.

I'm not saying not to take courses -- I'm just saying that courses are no guarantee of making you even a *decent* engineer by any stretch. The most I would expect is a better understanding of what you already know.

^^^^^^ Exactly.

I had this young just-graduated kid once try to tell me how a hook-up should be done...and he even managed to end the sentence by talking about his college major/dergree.......:D
I just looked at him and said that based on everything I've ever done, that it wouldn't work like he thought it would, and suggested he do it a different (right) way.

Needless to say, he was determined and tried it his way....then frustrated, he ended up not doing it at all! :laughings:

...and he even managed to end the sentence by talking about his college major/dergree.......:D
That's always when to watch out.

One intern I had came in and said "Look -- I just came out of (the school) with a piece of paper that says I know how to do all this stuff and frankly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I really hope to learn."

And I said "When can you start?"

I got into Berklee... tuition is outrageous for what they do. Besides maybe the private lessons with an instructor, their courses don't teach you much that you can't learn on your own. My personal opinion: put the time into it yourself without them/ get signed on your own/ whatever your musical aspirations are. You'll enjoy it a lot more without the big ass debt Berklee gives you.

Sidenote. After I declined their offer, I got signed with a label and didn't need a lick of Berklee to do it. This website and many, many tedious hours of practice on my own music have taught me how to get exactly what I want when I'm recording.

As no one has answered the specific questions from the OP, I will say that the songwriting class had some good things to it, but a lot of it was aimed at real beginners, so I would assume the production class is that way as well.

One intern I had came in and said "Look -- I just came out of (the school) with a piece of paper that says I know how to do all this stuff and frankly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I really hope to learn."

And I said "When can you start?"

Perfect!

That's usually the kind of guy you know will bust his ass to really watch, listen and learn.
Did he work out well....?

There is no flaw in someone learning the tech of recording. Nor any trade or career. Always best to learn everything you can whether by doing or paying for education.

What makes someone good at what they do is how they are able to use what they know/learn with what they have the 'ability' to do. Experience determines whether you will be good at any trade or not.

Not everyone can be a construction worker just because they have hands. Not everyone can be an engineer because they have ears.

Some just have 'it' and some don't. That is just reality.

Education is great for everyone, but to be really good at anything takes devotion and a natural talent for whatever you are aspiring to be-way before trying to become something in any field.

Blah blah. If you don't understand my comment above, then go to medical school. Or at least veterinary medicine. :)

Back