Behringer Xenyx 502 Audio Overlap Issue

Duckgoosed

Let me first say i'm new to using mixers.

I have the Xenyx 502 (NON Usb) that i am using for live streaming on Twitch. The main reason i got a mixer was so i can hear my own voice in my headset as well as hear game audio from PC/Xbox one.

Everything is working great so far. I can hear myself in my headset and i have no issues with hearing PC audio as well as Xbox one audio.

The only issue, which is a big one, Is that I am getting PC audio that is being sent to the mixer which is fine, but it is then sending audio back into the PC. So there is a echo/overlapping sound. It sounds terrible. I only need to have my MIC audio (voice) going back to the PC for recording/live streaming.

The live streaming program I'm using is called OBS (Open Broadcasting Software).

It's important to note that when i'm recording and not saying anything into the mic, you can see the mic logo which is next to the sound logo, going up and down when there is sound. Even though i'm not talking. I hope that made sense but you can see in the picture, the green on the Mic side matches the same as the green on the sound side.

**If i turn the knob all the way down on the Mic in Line 1, the overlapping sound is gone and it sounds fine.. But then i cannot use my mic...***

Please help me with this issue if you can. And explain like i'm 5 years old because i'm a little slow :)

Attachments

• 2017-01-14.png
    2017-01-14.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 80
That attachment won't open for me (IE 11 trouble?) but in any case, how have you sent the PC sound back to the mixer?

I think you need to feed it into the TAPE/CD RCA inputs and then ensure it is not sent "To Mix" using the two monitor buttons. N.B! Certain combinations of those buttons can cause loud feedback! Have the cans around your neck whilst you experiment.

Dave.

hard to guess how its hooked up, but if you wire up the computer as a tape deck, the cd/tape routing buttons should only active for phones ? And on the computer there should be no monitoring active - 'cept on the game track ? If you are recording from the main out jacks, the recording program doesn't need to send that back out while recording. You still have to possibly deal with sound car "echo" - see if it is out of sync in the two track recoring

Not sure this can be done without having the audio loop back, probably with latency as it seems to be doing. If you set the 'CD/Tape to Phones' to hear the XBox/PC, then the mic on the mixer main bus won't be heard directly from the mixer (it would need to loop through the PC (duplexed) back to the Tape In's along with the game. Possibly a setting in the computer/OS audio, Twitch, or OBS software that may affect the audio routing(?)

"**If i turn the knob all the way down on the Mic in Line 1, the overlapping sound is gone and it sounds fine.. But then i cannot use my mic...***"
Is it the mic that overlaps or the XBox/PC sound?

Xenyx 502 block diagram....

Attachments

• 502.jpg
    502.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 111
Thank you for the replies!

Dave, whats N.B? Here is my setup for the Xenyx:

MIC into XLR line 1.
1/4inch cables in line 4/5 that go into 3.5mm headset jack on PC. (This is how i get PC audio into the mixer)
1/4 inch cables in line 2/3 that go into a Toslink converter to get Xbox audio..(I don't think this has anything to do with the issue as i have tried it without these cables in)
RCA red and white cables in Output of the 2-Track going into the MIC jack on my PC. (This was what i was hoping to just get MIC audio back into the PC but it sending both PC audio and MIC audio back)
Headphones in Phones.
I don't have anything in the Main Out next to the line inputs.

Maybe i should just use the line inputs and mainout or just use the 2 track input and outputs...

Mark, its the PC sound that is overlapping. My voice is not.

hah. Well, the idea is you wire it up so you can control what does what. Be somewhat wary of the Behringer manuals.

We see, now, that both of your sound sources are external. In basic mode, you just send main out to the computer and just monitor on the 502 fone jack

Don't know what OS or hardware you have, so this is a guess of what you may have. Below is for Win7 Pro with a RealTek soundcard.

- Look in the audio mixer panel and find the MIC or LINE (you actually should be using LINE in if your computer has it or can switch to it on the jack).
- Click on the icon of the 'cable' to open 'Line In Properties'.
- Uncheck the 'Listen to this Device' check box.
- Try the system out to see if you don't get the 'overlap' sound.

When the 'Listen to this Device' box is checked it passes what comes into the MIC/LINE jack through to the speaker/headphones out jack which would be sent back to the mixer. I'm not 100% sure this will fix it or not and your OBS software may have something similar that passes the audio through from input back out to the output.

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    mixer.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 44
Ideally you 'need' a gaming PC, a Streaming PC, and a USB mixer to feed audio to the streaming PC :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

P79Y24K.jpg

....but maybe what you have can work. :D:D:D:D:D

Ya the listen to this device is unchecked so that wasn't the issue.

What about just using the 2 track input/outputs or just using the line input/outputs? Would that possibly help?

Mark thats an awesome picture. That may come of help later.

I have the gaming PC/streaming PC and its fairly new.. maybe i do need to upgrade to a USB mixer..

With that mixer, I can only see one way of avoiding the feedback loop. You have to prevent the audio you are getting from the PC from getting into the mix and back into the PC.

You can do this by not going into line 4/5, but instead going to 'tape in'. Then switching 'tape in' to headphones.

This may work, but looking at the diagram, switching 'tape in' to headphones my switch off the mixer inputs to the headphones, which would not be nice. You need both.

Tape in is more for what you are not mixing, or, for monitoring. You are mixing the MIC and the xbox? So, that's a MIC and Line channel. You don't really need anything in tape in, just use the main out and tape out. I got a 1985 era Tascam mixer once I found out about the tape in being live. Yours may be different.

Interesting to note that when i just use the output in the 2 track or just use the output on main out Line.. the issue is gone.. the only audio is when i actually talk... but now i can't hear anything in headphones.

Um... i somehow fixed the issue.. I have just the 1/4 cables in the main out.. and the RCA cables in 2Track Input.. with 2-TR to Phones......

:) :) :)

You guys likely mentioned this before but maybe it didn't click for me.

Thanks again! This site is a huge help.

---------- Update ----------

2 TR to phones button down*****

There's plenty of how to Behringer stream on youtube, but many are newer USB mixers. You may find more looking for the 1002 & web/pod cast.

You should get MIC and Line on the headphones. Normally, you hook up the mix and phones & test, and then, hook up the recording & test, the monitoring & test, etc.. My 1002fx has been hooked up for 10 synths inputs recently and I monitor through fones - no problem. A month earlier I was using all the tape jacks, but I had an external tape loop switcher between it and the disk recorder - meaning the tape jacks were in OFF when recording.

Ya, as far as I can tell, a lot of people use the 502 and they sell a kit

You have to feed the fx send to the computer and open the send only on the mic channel. You can double the output by a Y cable.

You have to feed the fx send to the computer and open the send only on the mic channel. You can double the output by a Y cable.
Could you indicate to the OP (Duckgoosed) where the FX send is on his Xenyx 502 mixer?

Attachments

• 1154014.png
    1154014.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 16
Back