Behringer XENYX 1202FX

So i've had this mixer http://bavasmusic.com.au/store/images/images_big/XEN1202FX_big.jpg for a little while, but have not used it quite yet. My question is, it only has four xlr inputs, and the rest are mono..... So which mics should be plugged in mono. overheads?? Also, does it depend on which program i use to determine if these will all show up on different tracks?

XLR are mono also. So you have 4 mono XLR mic inputs and 4 Stereo (or 8 mono) line inputs. If you use the 1/4" Line inputs you'll need a pre amp first.

why do you say i will NEED a preamp?

Because the 1/4" inputs are line level inputs, not mic inputs. A microphone does not put out enough signal to drive a line level input. You need a mic preamp.

Also, it appears at first glance that that mixer will only give you two channels. Which DAW program you use will not make a difference.

Also, those stereo channels are hard-panned L/R when you monitor if you use both jacks. (It's mono and pan-able if you only plug into the 1st input) So you'll need to use a stereo channel on overheads or something. IE if you had kick and snare, the kick would be far L and the snare would be far R.. After you track it no prob's as long as you track it to 2 separate mono channels. But it'll sound really strange if you have to listen to the monitoring while it's tracking..

So I'd put the OH's on a stereo track. Any 2-mic stereo tracking of the same source sounds fine on the stereo channels.

Back