Behringer 1204 usb main mix slider issue

theotherjon

I've done some searching on the forum and have not seen this issue brought up, so hopefully it's not just me being dumb.

New 1204 usb set up with iMac to line in 5/6 via 3.5mm to dual 1/4" TSs, main output via 2 tr/usb RCA to Mackie powered monitor, with headphones as well.

Here's the issue. When I move both the Main Mix sliders up the sound is very low, however if I move either of the sliders up or down so they aren't aligned, the sound jumps way up to normal level. I get a normal level, stereo sound in the headphones, so I'm just trying to figure out what gives. I thought it was a defect at first but the fact that it sounds correct in the headphones leads me to believe that it is some other issue.

Thanks for any insight.

Confused in how you have the monitor(s?) hooked up. The mains output of that mixer are XLR connectors. Are you taking the USB output, then converting that with another USB connector back to the Mackie monitor? That makes no sense!
The USB output is for connection to your computer. (out from mixer to computer, and out from computer to mixer)

New 1204 usb set up with iMac to line in 5/6 via 3.5mm to dual 1/4" TSs, main output via 2 tr/usb RCA to Mackie powered monitor, with headphones as well.
You lost me right there.

If it's a 1204USB, I would assume you'd connect it to your iMac via USB, and nothing else. What is this "line in 5/6" referring to? You're going from the headphone out of the iMac back into the Behri??? If you do that along with the USB return, there's a chance you've got that needless return out of phase, which would explain why it's low when the levels are equal, and increases when they become unequal. At least that's one random thought that popped into my head. Unplug that 5/6 input for starters, I guess.

Next, what does a "tr/usb RCA" cable look like? You can't be mixing digital and audio signals, are you? Do the Mackie's even support digital input?

Ok, sorry ya'll, I was in a rush last night and I should have waited till I was more focused to write that post. I had been experimenting with how to setup a mix minus situation for remote interviews for a podcast and I didn't want to buy one of those Griffin iMics so I had the usb hooked up to the computer, then the computer's headphone out run to the Aux return with a 3.5 to dual 1/4" TS cable, with the monitor connected to the 2-TR/USB RCA out via a RCA to 1/4 TRS, and a digital recorder connected from the Control Room Out. Then I just set the sound prefs to take USB input and use headphone output. I don't remember all the exact settings between the board and the computer but it worked. Did a test call with a friend through Skype and we had good audio on both ends, no echo, no feedback, and it recorded into Audition and the digital recorder perfectly. I'm surprised I couldn't find anything about setting things up this way elsewhere on the internet.

Anyways, all that to say, when I just wanted to listen to some music on the monitor later I plugged the computer into the Line In 5/6 with a 3.5 to dual 1/4 TS cable and that's when I was getting the weirdness with the Main Mix sliders. I also got it the other day when I first hooked my computer up to it, but I don't remember if I had the usb hooked up too or not in that situation.

So is it an issue of having the usb and the headphone port hooked up at the same time?

I also just tried unplugging the USB and only having the iMac connected through the Line In 5/6 and I still get the same issue.

If you can see the Behringer in the Audio MIDI Setup application as both an input and output device, you should set it as both, and not be sending an analog signal (that 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable) back to the mixer. It should go back via USB, and everything should just play through the mixer (acting as an audio interface) into the monitors.

If you can see the Behringer in the Audio MIDI Setup application as both an input and output device, you should set it as both, and not be sending an analog signal (that 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable) back to the mixer. It should go back via USB, and everything should just play through the mixer (acting as an audio interface) into the monitors.

Ok I've got this worked out. I don't have a lot of XLR cables so I've been trying to avoid using the main output of the board and instead using the Control Room out with the dual 1/4 to 3.5 (adapted to 1/4) to the monitor. I just used XLR and I get great sound. So now back to the Mix Minus situation. Can I do remote interviews via Skype/FaceTime when the input and output of the Mac is set to USB (the board)? I've seen a lot about setting up mix minus with the aux send but the iMac (2017) doesn't have a 3.5mm mic input, only the headphone jack. So do I have to get a usb to 3.5mm adapter like the Griffin iMic? It just seems dumb and redundant to have to do it that way when I've got USB in and out with the board. Sorry if I'm being obtuse here but I haven't done sound work in a long time and I'm still getting reacquainted with everything.

Thanks for the input ya'll.

I'm still pretty fuzzy on what you're trying to accomplish.

Do you have a microphone plugged into the 1204 that you're speaking into, and trying to not hear that in the monitor send, i.e., you want just the other side of the call? Are you using specific software for that?

In a real audio interface (vs. the 1204USB) you could control routing of the inputs to not actually get returned to the monitor send, but I am suspecting that may not be easy to do with the 1204 acting as an interface, in which case you may need to do something analog, like the link in [MENTION=122016]DaleVO[/MENTION]'s post.

Correct. I'm trying to figure out how to use the 1204 usb as an interface to record a conversation in which I'm speaking through a microphone and the other person is speaking from Skype. Is there software that let's me use the 1204 as an interface where I can control the routing of the inputs?

So, back to your first configuration, if, on your iMac, you set the built-in speakers for the output and then its the 3.5mm headphone out to the 1204 with stereo RCAs to a line in (e.g. 5/6), and plug your mic plugged into channel 1, can you not record in something like Audacity, or whatever DAW you're used to? You will likely have to turn the monitor send in the DAW down to zero, so its' not duplicating the Skype output and your mic, i.e., sending everything back to the 1204.

What you'd monitor on the Behri would be the levels of your mic and the headphone/line-in from the PC, i.e., what's going *out* the mains.

Do a test so the record levels are well below 0dB in the DAW, and then when you want to play back, you can either change the output device to the 1204, or continue to use the headphone out. You'd have to, of course, raise the DAW monitor level from zero at that point.

Back