Beginning with home recording

ejg1n1

Hey

I'm new to this forum. I want to start with some recording but I'm struggling to get the correct setup and need some help. I am a collage student so I am on a extreme budget.

Equipment:
Mixer: behringer Xenyx 802
Mic: behringer C-1 and some cables
Software: Cubase 5
and a PC

Thanks for any help

Your best bet to start with would be to work through the various pinned FAQs at the top of this forum. There's a wealth of information there.

You haven't asked a specific question...is that list the gear you're considering or do you already have it?

If you haven't made the purchase yet, seriously consider not buying a mixer and getting a basic audio interface instead. Cheap mixers really don't add anything to the party but, because of all the unnecessary bits and pieces mean that quality has to be compromised everywhere. You can get something like an ALESIS IO2 EXPRESS for around $100 and it'll do all you need with remarkable quality for the price.

In addition to your list, don't forget monitoring. You'll need headphones (closed back) for when you're tracking and (as soon as you can afford them) some decent loudspeakers to mix on.

Also, you didn't mention a mic stand or pop screen which are both pretty essential.

Have fun. Recording is addictive!

I don't see an audio interface on your list. You'll need something to connect your microphone to your PC. The ALESIS IO2 EXPRESS that Bobsy mentioned looks like a good value. That'll get you started. The mixer's not strictly necessary but you might find something to do with it since you already have it.

I assumed he meant the Xenyx 802 USB...but, if not, then you're entirely correct. An interface is essential if the mixer doesn't fill that role.

Doesn't seem to be an interface on that mixer. Maybe he plans to plug the audio output of the mixer into his sound card. The card will be a weak link.

Hey everyone!

I am fairly new to the Recording field. I am just curious on how to setup a 4 piece band using 8 inputs. I have a Zoom R16 and would love to record all the drums on the first 7 tracks which leaves me with one open. What should be the next option to lay down? a basic overall live sound and record from there? Not sure please help

Hey everyone!

I am fairly new to the Recording field. I am just curious on how to setup a 4 piece band using 8 inputs. I have a Zoom R16 and would love to record all the drums on the first 7 tracks which leaves me with one open. What should be the next option to lay down? a basic overall live sound and record from there? Not sure please help

You'll find lots of information. There's a sticky thread about recording drums by a poster named Greg_L. Looking at the specs on that Zoom unit, it looks like you actually have sixteen tracks and eight inputs. You should be able to do what you want. If it were me, I'd try to track the bass and drums in one take, then overdub the rest.

Back