Begin Again

Wow, it's been a long time since I've had such slow internet. I just tested and got 29mbps down and 23mbps up.

In Kansas City we were the test market for Google's fiberoptic network. I got hooked up over a year ago and I have to say it's friggin awesome. Last I checked, I was getting about 960 mbps up and down. It's made download times almost trivial for most things. Normal web browsing is faster, but not revolutionary. It's mainly the uploads and downloads that are at least an order of magnitude faster.

When it rolls into your area, don't think twice. Just sign up!

So, can I get this clear T? If you were to download say the demo of Cubase it would be done in a flash? Or would it take the same time as my 8Mbps connection?

If the former, how does the Steinberg server know your speed? Does it Ping you first?

Dave.

So, can I get this clear T? If you were to download say the demo of Cubase it would be done in a flash? Or would it take the same time as my 8Mbps connection?

If the former, how does the Steinberg server know your speed? Does it Ping you first?

Dave.

It's more complex than that.

TCP/IP protocols require acknowledgements to be sent as data is received. Basically what's happening is that (in your example) the Steinberg server sends a chunk of data. Your computer sends a "got that okay, send me some more" message and the next chunk is sent--and so on. It works the same way in reverse when you're uploading something--indeed, as mentioned above, when I upload videos the download speed for the rest of the house is effectively throttled to about what I'm getting as an upload speed.

On top of that, file sharing servers can be programmed to restrict the speed any one user can get and the maximum number of simultaneous feeds it can handle.

I just logged in to my ISP toolbox and changed the profile. Doubled my download speed and improved the upload speed... still slow by anyone's standards but better than it was

Wow. Reading through this thread makes me go, wow.....

Download is 80meg, upload is 8meg. I thought I was on the slow end. Austin is the 2nd city for Google fiber, but I'm not actually in the city and they are only in certain neighborhoods. Still, my cableco offers up to 300 meg. I don't need it. 80 is just fine.

Download is 80meg, upload is 8meg. I thought I was on the slow end. Austin is the 2nd city for Google fiber, but I'm not actually in the city and they are only in certain neighborhoods. Still, my cableco offers up to 300 meg. I don't need it. 80 is just fine.

Oh shut up :)

We Australia is getting the NBN, or we were until the last election when the Government changed and they are now cheapening it down, and slowing it down. Ask any pensioner in Australia if we need fast internet and they say No, "I can send emails to my daughter no problem, it's much faster than the post office". :facepalm:

Let them explain!

I'm a pensioner in Australia and I need the NBN.

By pure good luck, the contracts for my area were issued and construction started before the last election so we're still getting FTTP. I feel sorry for those who aren't...and I feel sorry to those who will have to pay to fix the LNP's mistakes and put in fibre when the find how bad the Telstra copper from the nodes will be.

Yeah, after being spoiled I can't imagine having speeds that slow.

I feel for you guys...

Around 94 Mbps down and 12 up here. Strangely enough I was only getting around 50 meg down a year or so ago or so ago. No change in bill amount but almost double the speed now. Not complaining. :)

I'm saying "wow" to you guys getting the high DL/UL speeds... I never checked when I was in Houston but my first wife would always screw up my xbox live time when she was downloading music (she was a blogger so that was almost a constant when she was home). Here in Indy there isn't a bandwidth issue but it seems like more of an overall stability issue. I've been checking pretty regularly and I get 15.X DL and around 1.9X UL speeds on average. BUT, it's a weekly, sometimes bi-weekly chore to reset the router and all the cable boxes attached (Uverse) because something happens that takes those speeds down to around 2.XX DL and it doesn't even get through the upload it's so slow; the cable boxes don't work either - until I reset everything.

Next year we will be moving out to the cornfields of northeast Indiana - satellite internet but Frontier is supposedly making their way out there. Not looking forward to that. My brother-in-law was telling me that he pays quite a bit of money for 50gb of data per month - and I'm sure that all 50gb of it are slow as hell. I'm fairly certain that we go through that much in less than a week as is. Wife is going to be an attorney and I'm sure that with all the work she plans on doing at home we will have a fun time dealing with the limitations...

Pikingrin. Over here people that ran a business from their home would likely have two landlines for the phone. One bizz, one domestic.

Could you not do similar when you move? Extra cost of course but here it would be tax deductable along with heating and lighting the firm's premises!

Dave.

I'm a pensioner in Australia and I need the NBN.

By pure good luck, the contracts for my area were issued and construction started before the last election so we're still getting FTTP. I feel sorry for those who aren't...and I feel sorry to those who will have to pay to fix the LNP's mistakes and put in fibre when the find how bad the Telstra copper from the nodes will be.

Think yourself lucky you don't live on the West coast, WA = Wait Awhile. I currently live in a city, virtually in the city centre, NBN When? Not even scheduled. I will be moving out of town in the next 6 months, 2Klm to a brand new sub division, NBN put into the new subdivision when being built instead of cabe? Nope! Not scheduled copper going in. Over where the studio is, industrial area full of businesses NBN Scheduled? Nope!

I don't expect to see it ever happen, as it gets close the policy will change. This country is being run by a bunch of morons, and I mean in all parties. Oh and I will be a pensioner within the next few years, unless the pension age policy changes again.

Alan.

Oh, I realise how lucky I am Witzend. Toowoomba was high up on the NBN list only because we've fluked onto to being a fairly major junction on the fibre network gathering feeds from North and West of here to the East coast. Even so, look how long I've been waiting (the CBD and some other suburbs were connected yonks ago.

Just remember...the guy mainly responsible for the FTTN mess is now Prime Minister.

Back