Begin Again

GuitarLegend

In the movie "Begin Again", (yeah I know its just a movie but...) at the end, they upload ten songs in like a second flat. It takes me 5-6 minutes to upload just one song with an allegedly good service. Is there some BS going on there or is there a lightning fast upload service that they have access to?

Download speed: 2.62 Mbps
Upload speed: 0.17 Mbps

Wow! That is dire! I thought I was hard done by these days with 8.5 Mbs down and 0-83 up. You would not be able to watch realtime HD TV with that speed, even live bog S TV might be a problem.

How far are you from the nearest exchange?

Dave.

This thread has prompted me to investigate why upload speeds are usually 1/10th that of downloads.

It seem the maximum bandwidth of the copper line using ASDL is optimized for download and since most people want and need swift dld, films and such, that is where the bandwidth is placed.

I did not find any confirmation of this but I suppose the TOTAL bandwidth of my connection* is about 11Mbps? So I SUPPOSE that could be split, 5 down, 4 up? Or at least a ratio that gave me faster upload?

*Since moving to Talk Talk from BT (P'thaghh!) my speeds have been stable within +or- 0.5Mbps for some 3 years whereas with BT (P'taghh!) they Jodrelled all over the shop, never faster than 6Mbps and sometimes down to near dialup speeds!
This is all the more surprising since I am still connected to the same exchange over the same pair!

Dave.

Wow! That is dire! I thought I was hard done by these days with 8.5 Mbs down and 0-83 up. You would not be able to watch realtime HD TV with that speed, even live bog S TV might be a problem.

How far are you from the nearest exchange?

Dave.

When I called them to enquire about it, they said that I was limited by my distance from the exchange but I am a stone's throw from the capital city, I don't know how much closer I could get. I might contact them again with this speed info and see what they say about that. I have certainly had better speeds elsewhere

When I called them to enquire about it, they said that I was limited by my distance from the exchange but I am a stone's throw from the capital city, I don't know how much closer I could get. I might contact them again with this speed info and see what they say about that. I have certainly had better speeds elsewhere

I would expect Oz to have modelled their phone infrastructure on UK? I live in a large town (goog NN5 5Pguess) bigger in fact than many "cities" but, my exchange is in a small village called Duston about 3.5clicks away (by Google directions). I do not know how many cabinets my pair passes through but I understand these can be a source of trouble as they age and contacts corrode?

If you are much further from an exchange than me I suspect your only hope would be "Fibre to Cabinet" which is how BT Infinity gets its supposed speed. OR! Is there someone close with high speed? If so you might be able to piggy back on their wireless link and get my sort of speeds. The figures I gave are for a TP-Link wireless link to a laptop in another room. The rest of my computers are on copper but the internet speed is no better.

Dave.

I have a new definition of frustration. At present my downloads are about 3Mbps and uploads around .8Mbps--better than GuitarLegend but still frustrating when uploading videos.

The thing is, I now have a 100Mbps down/40Mbps up fibre all the way to the front wall of my house--but they don't plan to turn on service in my area until sometime in the new year. ARRRGGGHHH!

Ah well, at least I'm getting FTTP instead of FTTN.

I am not at all sure how much use a 10Mbbs upload speed would be? I find it odd that although I have a dld speed of over 8M I do not ever remember anything coming in that fast?
Even when I get stuff from huge companies like Microsoft the servers only deliver at one, maybe two Mbps at best. So, will the destinations be capable of the super upload speeds?

I truly don't have a clue, please forgive and old. medridden bottle jockey.

Dave.

If your downloading something that's current like an update to something popular then there will be a lot of traffic which slows everything down, for example, if you waited a week it would download faster because most people already performed the download so less traffic.
Even when I was getting 200mb a second on a speediest result the fastest I ever saw anything actually download was 5mb a second, but the extra speed you pay for does give you some headroom a bit like when you master a recording, so although your not getting maximum speed it's more stable

Certainly my end to end speed will be nothing like the sync speed on offer. However the other consideration for me is that I live in a house with several other net users sharing the bandwidth.

Right now, if I upload an HD video, I pretty much knock the others off line--and the last 4 minute video I uploaded took more than 2 hours. I wasn't popular.

If you have DSL,, your speed is controlled by the distance to the nearest junction (which is powered). Fiber optic, your speed can be slowed by everyone else on the trunk - that's why evenings are slow, mornings are fast.
I use Speed Test - Free Internet Speed Test – HTML5, No App Needed as you don't need to download an ap. This AM I got 17.36Mbps download, 10.07 upload.

Using that speed test, I got 2.4 up and 0.14 down. If anyone is getting better than that and still complaining, then I gotta get my service provider onto it.

If you have DSL...

One of these days my !&#$ing ISP is going to upgrade in this area....but it's DSL for now, without me calling the cable company, pay them to dig a long-ass trench from the road to my house just so I can do the cable modem thing.

It's really not such a big deal.
I don't watch HD movies on my computer...or upload a million files a day.
For most web surfing, the DSL is fast enough.
When I have to download some GB-size files....I just start the download when I'm doing other things away from the computer...and when I come back they are all downloaded. :)

I can remote into work and access other computers...even remote into my mothers computer down in Florida when she needs something fixed...so the speed is "usable".

One of these days my !&#$ing ISP is going to upgrade in this area....but it's DSL for now, without me calling the cable company, pay them to dig a long-ass trench from the road to my house just so I can do the cable modem thing.

It's really not such a big deal.
I don't watch HD movies on my computer...or upload a million files a day.
For most web surfing, the DSL is fast enough.
When I have to download some GB-size files....I just start the download when I'm doing other things away from the computer...and when I come back they are all downloaded. :)

I can remote into work and access other computers...even remote into my mothers computer down in Florida when she needs something fixed...so the speed is "usable".

Yep, my speed is usable. But I thought that back when we only had 14k dial-up modems... :)

I live in the boonies. For my first 2 years here, I only had satellite Internet. Finally DSL made it back to my forest. I get 2.5 down and .5 up--and I do digital media for a living. That means I'm constantly planning my life around long blocks of time to upload files for clients.

It wouldn't be so bad, but before we moved out to the country we had an incredibly fast connection. It was still DSL, but we were about 100 feet from a junction, and didn't even realize how good we had it. Of course, I only started depending on the 'net for my clients after we moved. Dohhh...

In Kansas City we were the test market for Google's fiberoptic network. I got hooked up over a year ago and I have to say it's friggin awesome. Last I checked, I was getting about 960 mbps up and down. It's made download times almost trivial for most things. Normal web browsing is faster, but not revolutionary. It's mainly the uploads and downloads that are at least an order of magnitude faster.

When it rolls into your area, don't think twice. Just sign up!

Back