Before I waste the money, analogue summing ..

MixedUpMixdown

Is it a myth? Is the difference worth the money? This topic is difficult because I need objective answers on a subjective topic. Basically, if I but the analogue summing plugs by either Waves or SlateDigital...and install them on my new Windows 7 Intel 8 core i7 64 but machine (don't even know if those specs are needed) will I hear a noticeable improvement in tone, texture, or quality ?

Just curious for a bit more info, and I don't think i can answer your question, but how far are you into learning about mixing? A year, 10 years, more?

I've never used the software you mentioned, but heard great things about the SlateDigital bus products. Quality, doubt it because if the quality going in isn't great, those plugs are going to be a magic button. Tone and texture, quite possibly.

Well I first attempted to record and mix with a karaoke machine at age 16....so....a long time....I guess. Spent years just doing it my way, recently upgrade a few things and started studying the ”Official Way” to do everything (mixing, mastering, down to music theory and composition) as for the Mic thinking mxl 990, perhaps later upgrade to MXL Genesis or Genesis II with its own preamp...

Man, I'd say don't waste your change on summing for a while. Others might have a different view on that though..

If it were me, I'd look for some free software that can emulate tape and an analogue saturation and get good with that first. Variety of Sound makes some amazing plugs

I'm not crazy experienced in this game though. Only been at it a couple of years. I've learned a lot from this guy and his website. Here's his thoughts.
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2012/05/04/analog-summing-and-why-you-shouldnt-care/

Man, I'd say don't waste your change on summing for a while. Others might have a different view on that though..

If it were me, I'd look for some free software that can emulate tape and an analogue saturation and get good with that first. Variety of Sound makes some amazing plugs

I'm not crazy experienced in this game though. Only been at it a couple of years. I've learned a lot from this guy and his website. Here's his thoughts.
Analog Summing And Why You Shouldn’t Care » The Recording Revolution

I would go even further. I wouldn't use any kind of summing or analog stuff unless you can already get GREAT near release quality recordings with a a plain vanilla daw and the plugins that come with it. There's so much more to it than summing and emulations. Performances, room, mic quality, interface, recording skills, mixing skills, accurate monitoring...

Maybe the guy is past all that, I dunno

I personally love it - assuming the gear is up to the task -- Not all analog summing mixers are created equally by any means.
but the analogue summing plugs by either Waves or SlateDigital
Analog summing plugs? I really don't get out much anymore, but WTH is that?

Things like analog summing are really things that you worry about last. They are somthing that will take an already great mix and add that last 1/10th of 1% better-er than it was to begin with. There are dozens of things that have thousands of times more importance than summing.

In a perfect world, summing wouldn't sound like anything. It would be transparent.

Back