Bass Sounds Bad...

Stargaze

Recently, I have found the joys of EQing a mix so that each instrument finds its own place in the mix. Most everything seems to be fairly crisp and clear....except the BASS.

I can't seem to get the bass guitar to fit in the mix. This may be from poorly recording it or not being able to EQ it or compress it well. I've tried mic-ing the bass amp, directly connecting the bass-amp to the board , and directly hooking-up the bass to the board.

What technique should I stick with? What are some ways to fit the bass in the mix?

Well if everything is crisp and clear, I use heavy filtering on the bass, so it's basically just low notes. Nothing crisp about it. That way it won't disturb the other crisp and clear sounds. That way I only use it to fillout the bottom of the sound, and not making it a crisp and clear sound in itself.

Yo Stargazer:

I have done bass a couple of ways in my studio. First, I run my Bass patches from my synthesizer direct into the recording box; when I am ready to mix it down, I up the EQ on the LOW and slightly lower the high end EQ on the track; I don't use reverb on bass; it doesn't need it. I don't use a compressor and I get some good tight bass sounds.

The other method I have used with a live bass player is to run his electric bass into this neat small GK AMp I have that has a by-pass of the speaker; so, I use this amp to level the sound, then I still use EQ to get the funky tight bass sound I'm looking for.

I would think recording bass pumping from a live speaker would be very difficult unless you have some very good gear.

Hope this helps you out.

Green Hornet

Exactly what kind of problem are you having? Is the bass too boomy and not present enough? Or does it sound like it's sitting on top of the mix?

Sounds like ite bleeding all over the mix

Believe it or not some bass drum resonance is up around 300hz, so the bass drum might also be stepping on it....Eq a little 300hz out and some upper mid in...and some 40hz-60hz in and compress it with some major attack and medium release low tresh and high ratio....and see what happins

Tony

Stargaze;

After screwing around for a few years I broke down and picked up a Sans Amp BassDriver DI.
This little box of wonder will give a hot crisp signal to your board and if you play live sound engineer's love them.

Good Luck
RussP

Back