bass amps

Have a look at a Fender Rumble 2 x 10, I know that there is a new version out recently so there may be a deal to be done on new old stock. Second hand is another option.

Cheers
Alan.

By best, do you mean for recording (cleanest with good signal and DI) or do you mean for performance (you need it as loud as you can get it)?

A quick search at Musician's Friend's used equipment found a Fender Bassman 2x10 (400 watt jobby) for $299.
Hit Craigslist. Look on ebay. Check local pawns.
I picked up my Peavey 1810 cab for $100 at a pawn shop. You can sometimes get great deals.

You can probably get a decent amp for $300 that will be fine for shows, but may not be suitable for recording, as you'll likely get a better tone by recording your bass directly through a direct box. Many amps now have a direct line out, which may save you from purchasing one. Still, when it comes to recording, it is worth it to try recording with it by miking the speaker, as you may get better results when sound is physically moving through a speaker (amp, speaker, and mic depending).

In the $300, you may be able to find a used SWR Workingman series amp. I've recorded using one of those for years. How you record, and what sound you are trying to capture, comes down to a lot of personal preference.

-MD

Don't worry about the recording side, the Fender Rumble will record fine.

I own a Gallien Krueger 800rb that is used in the studio with a 1x15 or a 2x10 cab (or both with both miced), I also own a Trace Elliot Commando 15 combo and a little Crate BT25. They all record just fine, true they all have a different sound but choice is the spice of life.

I picked the Fender Rumble as the price is about right, the sound is very good and the amp has lots of power for the size. I have used one at a gig and I have a friend that bought one and loves it for the ease of moving it around and the power it puts out. I am going to buy a new series Fender Rumble 2x10 for our smaller gigs in the near future.

Alan.

Don't worry about the recording side, the Fender Rumble will record fine.

I own a Gallien Krueger 800rb that is used in the studio with a 1x15 or a 2x10 cab (or both with both miced), I also own a Trace Elliot Commando 15 combo and a little Crate BT25. They all record just fine, true they all have a different sound but choice is the spice of life.

I picked the Fender Rumble as the price is about right, the sound is very good and the amp has lots of power for the size. I have used one at a gig and I have a friend that bought one and loves it for the ease of moving it around and the power it puts out. I am going to buy a new series Fender Rumble 2x10 for our smaller gigs in the near future.

Alan.

How many mice go in each cabinet when you use both? :D

I have an old Kustom 2x15 tuck and roll.

Used to get a lot of mice going into that cabinet back when it was in storage. ;)

Crawled in right through the bass ports!:eek:

Played through one of those once. Not very long, though. I'm a 18-10 man myself...

I have an old Peavey Databass combo amp. It's FREAKING LOUD for how small it is. It's about knee high,15" black widow speaker and 450 watts!!!!
It also has a direct out which would be good for recording. They don't make them anymore.But if you come across one,GRAB IT!

:laughings: So we put cats in the drums and mice in the bass cabinets. How about a nice Norwegian Blue for your studio monitors (nice tweeter), unless of course you get it from Monty Python at which point it would likely be an EX parrot.

Back