basics of equipement ( what do I have? )

cporter

I basically know nothing about recording equipement at this point but am eager to learn. My wife plays guitar, sings and is learning audio book recording. She has Acoustica Mixcraft 8 and has been learning to use it so she knows the basics of that software. Her father passed away and left behind a lot of sound equipement. I want my wife to focus on what she is doing now so I thought I would help her by learning to improve her recordings. Among her Dads recording equipement was the following portable rack gear:

Really nice compressor rnc1773
Really nice preamp rnp8380
Aphex compellor aural exciter 323a
Aphex expressor 651
Aphex studio dominator ax
Mackie onyx 400f preamp
Furman 20 amp power conditioner

Does the above list look like everything needed? There is also about 20 other pieces of rack equipement that was not mounted that I have access to if I need something else. I found a presonus firebox interface, cant remember the model.
I know that no newb needs all this and it will take some reading and trial and error to learn to use it but it was free and and it is something that interests me so why not. So I guess my question is, is this all that is needed other than mics, cables, laptop etc.? Just remembered I also have a mixing board. Will Mixcraft 8 be sufficient for software needs? and if some has time give me a brief description of what the components on this list do that would go a long way. Thanks, I have a lot to learn but sounds like fun.

Attachments

• recording gear.jpg
    recording gear.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi cporter and welcome.

I am betting that amongst that pile of gear is a Patch Bay? If not and you/she intend to make use of it all you will need one. Modern song production is largely done "In The Box" which means all the effects and signal processing (IF you need it!) is done by software in the computer and such software 'FX' are generally superior to their 'Out board' analogue counterparts. This is especially true of the highly regarded Reaper Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) as such software is called. I know little of Mixcraft but would urge your wife to try Reaper, free to use and cheap to buy.

The next question is a little sensitive? Might you consider selling some of the gear? Yes, I know it was 'Ole Dad's but such a sale could fund the purchase of a more modern interface than the Presonus. Here is why...

The Firewire protocol is all but obsolete. It lives on with mac computers and the Thunderbolt connection but that means extra outlay for a TB cable and adaptor. Now, not all FW interfaces worked well, or at all with all FW chipsets. Whether the Presonus would work with TB+adaptor is in the lap of the gods. Windows is even MORE of a crapshoot. FW sockets are no longer on modern PCs and laptops and even IF your laptop had a FW port it might not suit the AI!

A desktop PC is slightly better news since there could be a PCIe slot for a FW card but first check with Presonus for brand (usually the TI chipset works for FW audio but best to ask!).

COMplicated innit!!??

If you decide to keep the OB gear (hang on to the RNPre and RNC anyway) look for the user manuals and if they cannot be found download the .pdf and get reading. Oh! And if neither of you can solder? LEARN!

Dave.

I've been recording for many years and have a charity shop PC with Audacity, a mic and mic stand. All other gear is freeware VST plugins from vst4free.com, although basic gear is built into Audacity. The whole lot cost under £80. Audacity is freeware from Download | Audacity(R)

I can't see any of those items in my own kit collection as they're all kind of their time. What exactly do you want to do? You said "improve her recordings". How good are they now, and what are you using? I have racks of kit from 15-20 years ago, and they never get used because I can do what they do more simply.

Tell us what your wife is currently using, and the sort of music it is - and we can suggest improvements. The aural exciter for example - great for the dance music of the 90s and early 2000s - but nowadays????

There you go C! You now have a Top Man* on the case. Mind his words well for he is a 'proper' studio person!

Re second hand/free software? Said this not more than a day ago...Yes, you CAN do this recording game very cheaply and get excellent results,but, as I said before, the TOTAL noob would be well advised to buy new and from a reputable dealer (people chasing the last penny is effing up the bloody world!) .

Yes, IF you have some knowledge you can buy cheap kit and get it working but like building you own PC (done this) if excrement hits the impeller you are on your own. Software downloads are fine but you have to be VERY careful to get the files you want and not yet another Registry cleaner or worse! (Ninte.com is dead safe)

*As you have too few posts to post clips you could send them to me as .wav attachements. I can then post them as 'hi res' MP3.

Dave.

My words of advice: forget all that outboard equipment until you get the 'basics' of recording down - good tracking skills (if you track it good, it takes less fixing during mixdown) and mixing skills. DOn't see any studio monitors (speakers) in your gear list. And you are surely going to want to do some acoustic treatment in your room at some point.

Back