Basic Home Recording Tutorial Guide

Vic Rattlehead

Hello! This is my first post!
I have recently purchased the Scarlett Solo Studio (Which includes a Scarlett gen 2 external sound card, a Mic, Headset, and cable for the mic. As shown in the photo below) and also a Mic stand. Some time after that I got myself a low-cost small midi keyboard, but that doesn't really matter for now. I wish to record from my Fender Hot Rod Deville amp an electric guitar using the said mic, sound card and a mixcraft studio 7 software. Anyway, I tried to dive in and bumped into some problems, some I managed to solve and others I couldn't (like the mic recording only mono, although I begin to think it might supposed to be this way). As you might have already figured, I am somewhat a newbie when it comes to recording. So I need some sort of a tutorial or a guide for recording - a guide for any subject would help: studio hardware set up, software set up or whatever you think might help. I have already found "Home Recording For Dummies" pdf but yet to have read it, so if you have any suggestion other than that, please share.

focusrite_solo_studio_2nd_gen_scarlett_solo_studio_pack_1251662.jpg

TL;DR
I need a home recording set up guide; already know of "Home Recording For Dummies" pdf but didn't read yet. Any other suggestion would be appreciated. :D

Thanks ahead,
Itai Bieber. :guitar:

Music tracking is usually MONO channels. You might think everything is MONO, unless configured for a stereo effect - up front with the guitar and MIC and on the other end with monitoring

Mike Senior's book Mixing Secrets is an excellent book. I learnt stuff and I've been doing this for 30 years.

I looks like you have the gear you need. Just plug it in and start experimenting. I don't know how that particular mic will do for guitar, but there is only one way to find out. Not sure why you were expecting stereo recording from a single mic.

Back