Barely any sound pick up?!

JordThePoet

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue that I would really appreciate some help with.

For some reason my sound input isn't picking up at all, sure I can play with it through Normalisation but i much prefer to do that at the end once i'm happy with the raw vocals.

My current set up is:
A 5 year old Shure PG48
An Alesis Core 1 Sound Interface
Standard XLR cable
2009 iMac with El Capitan
Audacity 2.1.2 via .DMG installer
GarageBand
Pro Tools First

I previously used a Line 6 UX1 audio interface and never had any issues with sound input before it broke last year, I've only just decided to start recording again so a lot of this (except for the Core 1) has been in my storage cupboard for around 12 months give or take.

There's definitely Audio input being registered as I can normalize the vocals (at what i feel is a loss of quality), The input nob on the Core 1 is on max as well (Click here for Interface settings)

If I record through my built-in mic it picks up sound far better (Click here for comparison image), but having previously purchased a test microphone (£20 from Halfords) nothing changed in how much audio was being recorded, I've also got 2 XLR cables both of which produce the exact same output so I'm unsure as to what the issue could be.

I'm a complete novice with terminology, so if anybody does have any suggestions would you mind posting a step by step on how to carry out the process.

Is it likely to be an issue with the Core 1? Or perhaps some software settings within the IOS or Audacity?

Two different cables, two different mikes, same result: Probably not the problem.
PG48 is dynamic, so not from loss of phantom power.
Does the line in work for line and guitar? Possible the output of the core 1 is not performing correctly?
If not:
Can you borrow a working interface from someone? Possible the XLR connection/circuitry on the Core 1 is damaged in some way?

Let's start with the obvious, do you have the gain on the core 1 maxed out?

Does the gain control affect the level you are getting from the mic?

It really sounds like the interface is broken, assuming you have set the controls properly.

"Or perhaps some software settings within the IOS or Audacity? " Cannot help you with mac settings but Audacity certainly has an input level control left of the OUTPUT level control just below the meters.

Did not know BTW that Audacity now works on macs.

Dave.

That's what I originally thought, I only bought the Core 1 as a cheap replacement but I've got an EP releasing in April and i'm no where near ready for it hence the post!

If it's not the interface then perhaps its my Mac, but i also remember a poor input pick up from a laptop I also used it with, so by process of elimination I'm going to say it's the interface as well

Yeah I've played around with Audacity, but I get the same issues with Garageband and Pro Tools First so I'm thinking it's most likely an issue with the Interface.

Let's start with the obvious, do you have the gain on the core 1 maxed out?

Does the gain control affect the level you are getting from the mic?

It really sounds like the interface is broken, assuming you have set the controls properly.

Yeah, if you click this link https://s28.postimg.org/oe7w1kl1p/interface_settings.jpg you'll be able to see a picture of the interface settings.

I haven't tried changing the input levels to be honest. I'll give it ago and post my results

Two different cables, two different mikes, same result: Probably not the problem.
PG48 is dynamic, so not from loss of phantom power.
Does the line in work for line and guitar? Possible the output of the core 1 is not performing correctly?
If not:
Can you borrow a working interface from someone? Possible the XLR connection/circuitry on the Core 1 is damaged in some way?

I don't have a guitar which I'd use or any other line in aside from the mic input.

I may take it to a local studio and see if they can get anything out of it.

Have you hit the line/guitar switch? You have the input gain all the way up, but if you have that line/guitar switch in the wrong position, it will be looking for a guitar signal instead of a mic signal.

Is there a way to set input levels using the computer's audio control panel? Not sure how that is done with a mac.

Have you hit the line/guitar switch? You have the input gain all the way up, but if you have that line/guitar switch in the wrong position, it will be looking for a guitar signal instead of a mic signal.

I have indeed, like i said it does still pick up vocals but the volume is so low its almost unhearable with normalization.

---------- Update ----------

Is there a way to set input levels using the computer's audio control panel? Not sure how that is done with a mac.

You mean in terms of input boosting? Unfortunately Mac don't have anything like that, they only allow you to control it via the interface.

Back to fundamentals...what are you recording?

The PG48 is a relativity low sensitivity/low output mic. It's designed for live stage use on vocals where the singer is nice and loud and has to reject a lot of stage wash. It's not good at quieter, more subtle sources.

Add to that, Alesis doesn't seem to publish and specs at all for the microphone input gain--which is often a clue that it doesn't have much.

Try yelling into the mic and see what levels you get.

The only other thing I can think of is the iMac may not be putting out enough current through the USB port to properly power the Core 1. Try a completely different computer. There was a generation of macs that put out much less than the 500ma required of the USB protocol.

If not that, I suspecting a bad Core 1, too. Do you still have the Line 6 unit to test? Can you take the Core 1 back to where you bought it? Can you borrow a USB interface from a friend? The difference in waveforms is telling. Though there could be other reasons for the difference, I'm guessing probably not.

You mean in terms of input boosting? Unfortunately Mac don't have anything like that, they only allow you to control it via the interface.

not if there's an external interface connected there isn't.

You said that already. :p

Be sure to check out my last suggestion about using a different computer. There were problems with certain macs from around that timeframe. (2009) I'm not sure which ones were affected.

If that AI does prove faulty and cash is short you could stay with Alesis and get one of their i02 Express units.

Much more of a "proper" AI with 2 mic/line/instru inputs and I have used one with a 57 and it seemed to have adequate, quiet gain. Very acceptable sound quality and much the same price of around £79.

Dave.

Back