Balancing Input, Track & Master Levels

mrbozo

I'm using a tascam dp008 all-in-one (record, mix, master) device and would like some advice on adjusting levels.

My input level is set to max and it doesn't peak.
My track, the only track, is set to max and it doesn't peak.
But my master level which is also set to max does peak. It only stops peaking when I have it at 2/3 or less. Why is this? What is the point of having that extra 1/3 if you can never use it?

Of course, I am a noob and there is probably an easy explanation for this, so if anyone has any insight or advice as to how to balance these 3 knobs, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm using a tascam dp008 all-in-one (record, mix, master) device and would like some advice on adjusting levels.

But my master level which is also set to max does peak. It only stops peaking when I have it at 2/3 or less. Why is this? What is the point of having that extra 1/3 if you can never use it?

Of course, I am a noob and there is probably an easy explanation for this, so if anyone has any insight or advice as to how to balance these 3 knobs, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sometimes these type pf devices has an AGC/Limiter ( automatic gain control) built in. You may be able to defeat it by searching thru the menu..Good luck..

Firstly, it's not a good idea to have any of your levels that record at max. It's not such a problem if your monitor levels {ie, volume} are at max because that's down to your ears and doesn't affect the recording level. But the input and master levels do affect the eventual recorded sound. Unless you deliberately want a distorted, overdriven sound, try to avoid this.
For all the years I used a Tascam 488 cassette portastudio, I had my input levels around 9 {sometimes even 10}, when the max level was recommended at 7 and sometimes, the master at 8. I did this because, initially in my noobish inexperience, it seemed like I was hardly getting any decent signal at 7. I now regret this because it never occurred to me that if the level seemed low on bass and drums, that all I had to do was record everything else at the same level ! Also, in those days {early 90s}, I never heard any person mention that volume levels could be brought up in mastering. Consequently, much of my stuff contains overdriven sounds that I would've liked to have done without.
As for why machines go to such levels, it's like a car that can go to 140 MPH, but the speed limit is 30 and on the motorway 70. Even if the limit is 100 MPH, the car can never get to it's capacity. So why build it to that ? Well, who cares ? As long as you get to do 80 or 90 and the car does what you want it to do, if you never get to do 140, it doesn't really matter.
In any case, have fun !

Thanks both of you for the reply!

I guess then it must be some sort of preset that attempts to reduce signals that are too high, or that allows you to boost signals that are too low.

@grimtraveller

So long as the 3 controls weren't peaking I hadn't noticed any distortion, but I will experiment now with different levels to see how it affects the sound. Thanks!

So long as the 3 controls weren't peaking I hadn't noticed any distortion,
I agree, that sometimes is the case. There have been times when I'm recording drums, the odd whack has gone over the peak and it's unnoticeable. But you may start to notice it if you add effects and bring the overall mix volume up. You may not, but you might. It's certainly noticeable on other instruments.

Back