Background Noise

Papanya420

I have recently set up my new studio. I had a 50-60hz hum which I eliminated with a Samson Direct Box. When I plugged in my keyboard with a TRS cable into my Presonus AudioBox USB interface I had noise, but the Ground loop button took care of that. Now, without plugging anything in I hear (and my recording software is picking up some other kind of fuzz. Could it be my wireless router and modem are too close? Is there anything I can buy to get rid of all background noise? I have JBL Professional speakers and short 1/4" TRS cables (18") connecting them to my AudioBox.

Hey Papanya The fuzz/hum could be a number of different things and you'll have to go through the pains taking task of elimination. Some thoughts for starters.
Do you have florescent lighting?
Is everything plugged into the same circuit?
No improper hook up wiring anywhere?
Next door neighbors trying to fix their damaged space craft to get back to their home planet while posing as an upright citizen with normal family that just happens to like to eat cats?

:cool:

Yes everything is one one outlet, but my neighbors eat squirrels and they usually just ride bicycles back and forth to their planet.

Do you have florescent lighting?

:cool:

Interesting thought. I've replaced a lot of the lights in my house with fluorescent coils. I have a lot of recessed lights, and the coils are way more efficient. Never would have thought of that though, but the fluoros can mess up an EKG, do those at work, not at home as you might have guessed.

No fluorescent lighting. Everything is plugged into a surge protector. I have JBL Professional speakers. I have no idea whether they ae balanced. I have a direct box that coverts unbalnced to balanced. Maybe, I just need better TRS Cables. The ones I have were the cheapest ones at The Guitar Center. There are 2 18" TRS Cables. One going out from the left and one going out from the right of my AudioBox USB. Do I need to get 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cables or are they the same shit?

Back