Background Buzz through USB Microphone

JordanDoyle

I have a very convoluted audio setup to run my microphone through some post-processing stuff but live, I initially used Virtual Audio Cable but the latency had to be above 50ms in Audition otherwise the audio would become extremely choppy. I instead decided to use WASAPI which works perfect at 10ms latency, but I couldn't run that through Virtual Audio Cable due to it having to go through the microphone, so I got out my old mixer and decided to run the headphone jack (which Audition liked to output to) to the mixer, it worked perfectly and then I ran the output to the mixer to the Line In port of my PC, however, when I opened Audition there was a very audible buzz which only seemed to happen when Audition got the "handle" to the Blue Yeti, if I switched the device, the buzz went away.

I can hear the buzz through the mixer before it even goes into the Line In port of the PC, I've tried changing the wire but nothing seems to work. What can I do to fix this problem?

Recording with Audacity from the Line In port: https://www.mediafire.com/?apcj1tapsxfrecp

Thanks,
Jordan.

Are you sure that the recording application is pulling from the right source? A lot of devices come with webcams now and they tend to be a higher priority than anything connected externally. Tapping the mic, then tappling the LCD or whatever the other mic source is can help identify which one is being used.

There could be other influeces like displays, power mains, cell handshakes, loose connections, and such. Maybe some sample rate conversions that are introducing noise. And other quirks with various software options. Plus a lot of generally cheap gear that sucks.

I have this same microphone (Blue Yeti USB) and it has the exact same problem. It's actually my second replacement of the mic; I sent the first one back due to some cosmetic damage (in retrospect I should have just kept it as it worked fine) and the second one because...it also had this problem! I was hoping I would get third time lucky, but no.

I've tried the mic on three different computers (both laptop and PC), on Windows and Linux, using different recording software, different cables, moving the microphone away from the computer, making sure nothing else is interfering, etc, etc, but it makes no difference. With one exception: when I use a very, very short USB cable (like a couple of inches) it doesn't occur, but anything longer than that and it does.

Googling about a bit, it seems we're not the only ones who've had this problem with the Blue Yeti, but I've not come across any solution. If anyone knows how/if this can be fixed, would appreciate if you could tell us how.

Googling about a bit, it seems we're not the only ones who've had this problem with the Blue Yeti, but I've not come across any solution. If anyone knows how/if this can be fixed, would appreciate if you could tell us how.

Dump the USB mic, get a half-decent audio interface and non-USB mic.

You might try a powered usb hub. Some usb ports are under powered and that doesn't work too well when the device is powered by usb.

Back