Baby's First Home Studio Set-up!

MagnusAD

Hello!

I'm planning to buy my first "real" recording equipment - I've been recording lofi stuff for some years for my own amusement, but now I want to take the next step and have a place that I can record an entire "band" of myself, with a better sound and control.

Currently, I'm using a cheap generic white-label USB Audio Interface (1in/1out), that did the trick as I mainly recorded for fun and to get songs right.
The rest of my equipment consists of a 70s bass, a late 90s guitar and one mic+mic stand, and of course, various cables. I do own a bass amp, but not a guitar one (I mainly use Guitar Rig to play it, returning the sound to my bass amp!). A functional 2-speaker+sub system and cheap USB headphone.

My plan is to buy an electronic drumset, as well as a mixer, audio interface, soundcard etc. I don't even know if my PC is strong enough - it's a i7-3770, 8GB RAM.

As of now, I don't have that many funds to start the project, so I'm aiming low, to the point where I can record some demos of me and my friends.

With this post, I'm asking for a review of what I'm buying and if that is okay, or if I'm missing something, etc. Mind you that I'm Brazilian, that went into consideration as some equipments here are far pricey because of shipping. The aim is to be able to record an instrument on one track, then play it back into headphones and record the other in another track.

My buying list is so far:
- A new nice pair of headphones (An AKG or AT-M20X), as studio monitors are way too pricey right now for me.
- An audio interface (considering Alesis io2 Express or Presonus Audiobox USB96).
- A mixer (Behringer Xenyx Q502), I need one with Phantom Power, of course. 2-4 tracks are okay enough.
- Mic for vocals (BM-800 and Shure SM58, or if I can, AT2020)
- Mic for other things (Shure SM57)
- More XLR cables as needed (I only have one)
- The drumset (can come later)
- A MIDI Keyboard Controller (can come later), and the cables needed

Is this enough? Do I need something else, or should I replace something? Will I be able to route the drumset and controller to the mixer, etc? Will the tracks be able to record separetly from what I head in the headphones?

Oh, the DAW I'm planning to use is Reaper.

Many thanks!

The utility of a mixer in a starting setup is always a question mark for me, i.e., vs. buying an interface with 4 mic pres, if you really need more than the 2 channels present in most entry interfaces.

Incidentally, that Presonus is way down on my list because it lacks LINE level input - something you might want, depending on how you plan to record the electronic drum kit.

The interface, whichever you choose, can supply the phantom power needed by any condenser microphones.

You will not be able to properly mix and master with headphones. It's impossible.
Before derailing this thread (with that bit of exaggeration), let's agree that most of the folks here strongly recommend mixing on monitor speakers in a space with at least some treatment. But OP said monitors are out of budget, so let's work within those constraints.

And, with that, I'd probably take that budget for the cheap mixer and throw it into the headphone budget, maybe a set of Sony 7506 or Sennheiser HD 280s perhaps. Lots of opinions there.

Good monitor speakers should be on the short list, of course, but you have to have a place where you can actually use them for them to be preferred when starting out IMO/IME.

I too do not see the use of a mixer?

I would set your sights on a better AI. The i02 is remarkably good for its price but no longer current here so support could disappear? I know it is a bigger chunk of money but do consider the Native Instruments KA6 (its extra line ins/outs make the mixer even less necessary). Failing that the Steinberg UR22.

Microphones. You just need the SM57 for amps and vocals (buy a pop shield) but I also suggest a small diaphragm capacitor. Sweetwater have the AKG P170 at $89 but I have read the Behringer C-2s are very decent, $60 for TWO!

Given your location and fiscal challenge! I suggest you look at making your own cables. For home recording you don't need 6.5mm heavy duty mic cables. A 50mtr reel of a 4mm OD foil screen cable is remarkably cheap. Then, Neutrik XLRs and jack plugs are superb but electrically, you don't need them. Look at electronics suppliers on the web and you can buy 4-6 plugs for the price of one Nuky!

The two interfaces I mention also come with a basic but still very powerful version of Cubase. Reaper is great but you could save another $60? Go towards monitors.

Dave.

I know that proper good mixes are impossible with headphones, but monitors right now aren't in my budget.
For the cables, we have a good supplier here, Santo Angelo, although they are (justifiably) pricey, I'm willing to buy them - I never made any cables, and I have just the basic soldering iron, and not that much of experience. Should I make my own anyway?

I won't be buying Reaper just yet, I'll use the trial version (annoying but free), but if I can get my hands on another DAW I'll move on. I really don't have any preferences.

As for the mixer, the KA6 would be a good choice then, as it has 2 XLR and 2 Line-in inputs, making the mixer a non-buy, right?

As for the mics - so just a SM57 and a small diaphragm cardiod is alright?

Thanks for the replies and the patience!

Oh, and as for the monitors - apart from being too pricey, I need to have better acoustic treatment for that, which would add up the tally...

edit
Should I buy used goods?I found some of those items used, at a lower price

Last edited:
" As for the mixer, the KA6 would be a good choice then, as it has 2 XLR and 2 Line-in inputs, making the mixer a non-buy, right?"

Pretty sure though it depends on precisely what you intended to do with the mixer? The KA6 will take 2 mics (and those inputs also handle line or guitar) plus two more balanced line inputs which could take a feed from a synth/drum machine and since you can 'sequence' such things you could record a synth track plus guitar or voice. Up to 4 tracks at once (and you also have S/PDIF for a future digital source!) MIDI of course.

Cubase is said by some to be tricky to master and I confess I have it but rarely use it, too set in my "Samplitude" ways! In practice no DAW is easy, Reaper (paid for) baffles me but Cubase is very powerful and very good for MIDI work.

Yes, the SM57 is really all you need for vocals many say. It WILL pop tho' so get a foam gag. Deff' the mic to stuff in front of a guitar amp.

IMHO the SDC is the most versatile of microphones. Slim so you can use it on acoustic guitar say without it being in the way and not as 'coloured' as the big jobs so you can sculpt the sound later in the DAW. The P170 (I have two earlier P150s) will give good sensitivity for quiet sound but has a 20dB pad if you wanted to scream at it.

Cables? Well if you can get them locally and at a good price OK but things break! You might as well learn to mend then make them and as you progress you will inevitably find you need 'specials' and usually same day!

Dave.

Thanks! Do I still need an external sound card for the setup? As for what I intend to do, it was just for, well, mixing. And it would be good because if I needed one in a live show I would have it(my uncle is the local sound tech guy so he always lent me one when I needed). But if the DAW is good enough, I guess it's good enough.

Although some 'experts' I listen/watch say it results in a better sound, but I would guess that wouldn't apply for the lower budgets mixers.

edit: The 'better sound' would be premix the mics that are recording the amps.

Thanks! Do I still need an external sound card for the setup? As for what I intend to do, it was just for, well, mixing. And it would be good because if I needed one in a live show I would have it(my uncle is the local sound tech guy so he always lent me one when I needed). But if the DAW is good enough, I guess it's good enough.

Although some 'experts' I listen/watch say it results in a better sound, but I would guess that wouldn't apply for the lower budgets mixers.

edit: The 'better sound' would be premix the mics that are recording the amps.
Do you mean mixer?

There's really no reason to premix anything if you record separate tracks. Now, not saying some folks don't like to go through a mixer, but I'm not one of those. And, if I did, I'd go though one that was designed with separate SENDs for each channel, not one where you only had the L/R Main output and had to use panning if you really wanted separate tracks. If you mix it going in (i.e., when recording), you can't unmix any mistakes you made was always my thinking. It's probably different if you start out recording though a mixer how it seems, but for me, it's a complication, not something that makes it easier.

Do you mean mixer?

There's really no reason to premix anything if you record separate tracks. Now, not saying some folks don't like to go through a mixer, but I'm not one of those. And, if I did, I'd go though one that was designed with separate SENDs for each channel, not one where you only had the L/R Main output and had to use panning if you really wanted separate tracks. If you mix it going in (i.e., when recording), you can't unmix any mistakes you made was always my thinking. It's probably different if you start out recording though a mixer how it seems, but for me, it's a complication, not something that makes it easier.

Alright, no mixer.
And I meant a PCI Express slot with a soundcard - but I've now seen the product and it's USB so I would guess not.

Edit
Is my PC enough?

Last edited:
You will not be able to properly mix and master with headphones. It's impossible.

Plenty of people do. And they get quite good results. One of our own members here was doing spotify ready mixes on cans and only recently got monitors. While mixing on HP isn't optimum, it can be done.
Don't throw a monkey wrench into the guy's goals and aspirations.
I'm sure the OP isn't reaching for a result like recording at the Record Plant.
Let him on his budget get his feet wet. :D

What, next you're gonna say it's impossible unless he as a Neve or SSL console?
:D

Alright, no mixer.
Is my PC enough?
Probably to start, though I would like 16GB or more RAM. And, putting your projects on a second drive is usually a good idea because it can reduce thrashing on the system drive, but it depends on the project size, speed of the system drive, and how many plugins you're using, how much other stuff you have on the disk, etc.

I suggest you read up on optimizing your system for audio recording. There's a thread here somewhere, I think, and lots of info all over the web on that topic.

Thanks for the support, hahahaha.

Yeah I have two 1TB HDDs, and I don't plan on making huge 32-track projects, so maybe 16GB RAM is kinda of a waste. I will look into optimising my system, as I use it a lot for various things.

I just spoke with my friend who owns the only local music store in some ~90km maybe (lol)
I'll buy the Drumkit first, as it's a steal - brand new Michael D110, he is selling it to me for ~280 American dollars less!

I found a used K6 for half the price, seems to be in good condition, but I can't try it before buying so I'm not sure, I think I'll buy the new one next month or so.

Maybe in September, I'll have an early build, hah! Teacher's life sucks...

Thanks for all the support guys.

The utility of a mixer in a starting setup is always a question mark for me, i.e., vs. buying an interface with 4 mic pres, if you really need more than the 2 channels present in most entry interfaces.

Incidentally, that Presonus is way down on my list because it lacks LINE level input - something you might want, depending on how you plan to record the electronic drum kit.

The interface, whichever you choose, can supply the phantom power needed by any condenser microphones.

You can use the mixer as your interface if you are connecting with a dedicated usb output. You'll have mic pre-amps, phantom power, line-ins, etc. I've used this set up for years. So easy!

Forget about Reaper: Special offer: MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Suite – Audio production
Definitely worth it. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this was a joke, but no. Go now, and buy it, and I swear you'll thank me.[/QUOTE

Plus 1 with knobs on to that! Both myself here in UK and son in France have bought it. Long time users of Samplitude SE8 and Silver but this is just too good to miss.

MAGIX keep extending the offer's deadline, 27 May now, presumably because the shekels just keep rolling in? Win-Win!

Dave.

Back