Audio Technica ATR 3350 with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Rode VSLR Videomic XLR Adaptor | PMT Online

That ^ might work. It is mechanically what you want. The problem is, the mic is unbalanced and the 2i2 balanced and you really need to work balanced (going to be quite long cable runs?)
This is the one I think [MENTION=132521]Swebber[/MENTION] needs. It does the 1/8" to XLR plus phantom power to plug-in power conversion!

Rode VXLR Plus - 3.5mm to XLR Adapter with Power Converter VXLR+

Or, get a bunch of battery powered lavalier mics and the one you referenced without the power conversion feature. Probably works out about the same +/- a quid or two.

Thanks, I probably know enough to have a go at that, but I think first I will a) see if I have about dynamic mics lying around instead (defeats the aim of trying to do all this simply, though) b) try finding a range of affordable mics with their own power or c) look for affordable lav mics with large XLR plugs (unlikely).

Thanks for your suggestions.

The solution is a P of P if you have some DIY aptitude. You need a 3.5mm jack, a 1:1 audio transformer (could be 1:3 and very cheap, $10 for speech) an XLR 3p chassis plug and a tin to put it all in.
A step up would be nice. The OP's mic is supposedly 1K impedance, which IS a little tight into a 3K preamp, a 1:3 transformer might have diminishing returns.

But I really wanted to ask what you think the "power converter" is. Since the power is on the signal wires, any resistive divider would also affect our audio, no? I can power it from battery or wallwart easy enough, but if I wanted to use the available phantom...???

Back