audio record shuts down when I do a certain sound

Salami Choriso

hello everyone,

important to say I have almost zero experience with these kind of things

so I got myself my first gear ever which is Rode nt1000 microphone and a focusrite scarlet 6i6 1st gen

Im using ableton live 9
I only record my voice and whenever I do "spit" like sounds(very specific type of sound), the signal shuts down for a short period (like 10-15 secs)
I tried to switch the xlr input and some basic solutions but I cant figure out if its a mic problem or maybe even drivers...

has anyone expierinced something like this?
thanks! im frustrated please help me here

DO you have any plug-ins or 'standard sound setting' selected in Ableton? Sounds like a gate or de-esser compressor with long delay is being triggered

You might also check for clipping or some kind of recording surge. Not sure if it is Ableton or the audio interface, but on my system, and I use Ableton, I have had the system stop recording if extreme clipping happens. Just not 100% sure where it happens, but it does.

If you're "spitting" directly into the mic, without a pop shield, it's possible you are shorting the capsule.

Shouldn't happen, but I've seen it before. Condenser mics need to be treated with respect.

It does sound like an overload problem. As a self confessed newb you could be making the classical mistake of recording way too hot. The spec shows that mic to be a pretty sensitive one. Your average levels in the software should be around -18dBFS even a bit lower assuming you are running at 24bits/44.1kHz.

Soon as you can, post a clip. 320k MP3 attachment suits ME best. Can you try another mic? Preff' a dynamic? The 6i6 (I have an 8i6) has easily enough gain for an SM57/58.

Dave.

- Do you have access to another mic you could try?

- How close are you to the mic when this occurs?

- When you first turn the phantom power on how long does it take for the mic to produce sound? Is there a delay to the mic functioning as it powers on from the phantom?

- On the 6i6 does the signal indication ring around the gain control go into the red when you create this sound?

- The 6i6 has a 'pad' on the input. If you turn this on is there a difference. The pad may need to be enabled from the software.

Back