Audio noobie trying to record indoors of me talking.

sansaba

So I will be recording this video where I am talking into the camera trying to explain a mathematical concept. Me sitting indoors (not moving) will comprise the majority of the video however I may also go out and have few short segments outdoors where I am speaking too. Now I do not have a very large budget for audio (like $80 perhaps) and I wanted to make the most for the buck.

First of all I am thinking of buying a shotgun microphone and before anyone goes off at me telling why that's a mistake I wont be mounting it on my camera, instead I will have it on a microphone stand and placing the microphone stand just outside of the field of view of the camera. The microphone will then be connected into the recording camera (nikon DSLR) or to my phone (which option is better?). Im not thinking of buying an audio recorder because is there really a difference between phones and like a $30 audio recorder? Then for the outdoor scenes I was thinking of using a clip on microphone.

Here is a list of devices I thought to buy
Neewer 14.17inch microphone for $28
Neewer(R) 14.17inch / 36cm Professional Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

ReaseJoy Tripod for $17
ReaseJoy Lightweight Foldable Microphone Tripod Height Adjustable Stand & Boom Arm & 2 Mic Clips Black: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Clip on Microphone, Seacue 3.5mm for $13
Clip on Microphone, Seacue 3.5mm Lavalier Lapel Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone for iPhone & Android Smartphones or any other mobile device: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

What do u guys think? I may be wrong in every decision so please comment. Should I buy a cheap audio recorder? if not should I connect my phone to my camera or my phone? Is a shotgun mic the correct choice if i want a mic close to me but still out of the field of view of the camera?

P.S. im in Europe so im using amazon.co.uk

In that very low budget, I'd consider using a clip-on lavalier and record into a phone (maybe tucked into a pocket) for everything.

I assume you're going to sync up the audio with the video later?

In that very low budget, I'd consider using a clip-on lavalier and record into a phone (maybe tucked into a pocket) for everything.

I assume you're going to sync up the audio with the video later?

+1 Unless the room is very dead indeed and VERY quiet the cheap shotgun mic will give poor results IMHO (I think even quite an expensive one would?)

Everyone on telly wears a 'tie tack' mic so we take no notice of them anymore! Outdoors you will be restricted by our weather, wind noise and traffic noise. Why outdoors for maths?

Dave.

I'd second the suggestion of a clip on lav. You see them on TV so often for a reason! I believe you may even be able to find a model that could plug into your DSLR.

If you DO need to go the "mic on a stand just out of shot" route, depending on your room and framing, you may find a cardioid small diaphram condenser might be the better route. The trick is to get the mic JUST out of shot far enough in front that you get about a 45 degree angle from mic to mouth. Clearly this only works in a medium tight framing and if you don't move around.

Bob said " The trick is to get the mic JUST out of shot"
A pot plant can be useful here!

Dave.

Back