Audio Interfaces and Effects Pedals

ryanhaggart

Hi I'm a newb here and have no idea what I'm doing,
I've done some research into easy recording solutions so that I may record my electric guitar onto my computer without going broke or molesting my own ears with horrible sound quality.

The underlying issue is that I am unsure of whether or not I need an audio interface.

I was wondering, if I were to purchase something like a Korg Pandora Stomp, would I still need an audio interface? or could I potentially connect that directly to my computer and still get decent sound.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid newb question.

PANDORA stomp | STOMP MULTI EFFECT PROCESSOR/TUNER | KORG - (Korg Pandora Stomp)

Hi Ryan and welcome.
In a word, yes. You need an Audio Interface ok, there are alternatives, some cheaper but basically you need a "box" that takes a guitar signal (and therefore should be a "High impedance aka, HZ input) and converts it to a digital signal via USB for the computer. But! and this part is often overlooked, you need same box to DECODE the USB digital signal from the PC and present it in a form that can drive headphones or, far better, some monitor speakers. Implicit in that output is some form of volume comtrol. All this two way conversion needs to be done at lighnening speed so that there is no discernible delay from string strike to you hearing the (possible "effected" sound) This latter quality is called "latency" . Part of the delay will be introduced by the computer itself but a much greater proportion is down to the interface and especially the "drivers" it is supplied with (Google "ASIO")

Phee-ew! What have you got so far? Guitar yes, got that! Amplifier? If so you should think about a microphone. The Shure SM57 is by far the most common mic pointed at guitar cabs but you can use almost any other sort (Google again. "SDCapacitor mic).

The AI will also make the job of building tracks far easier than any of the alternatives, e.g. you COULD feed that Korg unit directly into the 3.5mm jack socket of the PC but the quality would likely be poor, latency horrendous and the system very inflexible from an operational point of view.

So, AI recommendations? Budget, £70 is the Alesis i02. Had one, pretty good. Steinberg UR22 £100. Never had one but read nothing but goodness about them. Presonus Audio Box seem ok and Studio One DAW gets a lot of props. My top reccy? Native Instruments KA6. V low latency, got one, works on W10 (check that!) and just about anything else including Linux.

Dave.

Thanks for all of the info I really appreciate that, it looks like the steinberg is the way to go for me.

However, I was wondering what you think about the possibility of going for the the steinberg UR12 as opposed to the UR22, (the differences being 1 output vs 2 outputs and $95 vs $150.)

I only intend to use the interface for recording as I am not a gigging musician and just want to be able to tinker with my music on my computer.

Down the line I want to be able to hook up a guitar and possibly one more instrument or mic. (If I ever need more I could just upgrade.)

Thank you!

Thanks for all of the info I really appreciate that, it looks like the steinberg is the way to go for me.

However, I was wondering what you think about the possibility of going for the the steinberg UR12 as opposed to the UR22, (the differences being 1 output vs 2 outputs and $95 vs $150.)

I only intend to use the interface for recording as I am not a gigging musician and just want to be able to tinker with my music on my computer.

Down the line I want to be able to hook up a guitar and possibly one more instrument or mic. (If I ever need more I could just upgrade.)

Thank you!

Really I would not go for the UR12. Having made an excellent 2 mic input AI with well respected pre amps and MIDI you have to ask, "why make a super cheap one lunger?" Marketing that's why IMHO.

To my mind the UR22 belongs on the first rung of what I would call "proper" interfaces. Pony up and do it right.

Dave.

Alright cool, I will probably end up with the UR22 $50 isn't worth having crap equipment. Thanks again Dave for all of your help!

Alright cool, I will probably end up with the UR22 $50 isn't worth having crap equipment. Thanks again Dave for all of your help!

Good man! I would never say the one mic input Steinberg is "crap" but almost everything is stereo these days and it makes sense to me to start with two, symmetrical channels?

Dave.

Back