Audio Interface shopping (low-end)

Have a look at the Alesis iO2.

It seems to fit your whole spec and sells generally for just under $100. I bought one (well, actually an M-Audio M Track but they're the same box with different badges) about 3 years ago for a specific project (playback only in a theatre) but since then I've found it punches well above its weight and I use it for qute a few other things, particularly location recording. The preamps are good enough that you can run them full up without undue noise--I've used them successfully with very low output dynamic mics.

The unit is USB powered, direct hardwre monitoring with a mix control, switchable line/instrument on the quarter inch inputs, etc. Their ASIO drivers seem nic and solid. MIDI in and out via the usual DIN connectors.

Anyway, worth a look.
Great, thx, keep in mind. I have to wonder how it would compare to the Behringer preamp-wise.....?

The bass electronics work the same as the organ pipe. In this vid there is a small current supply and it does create the tone, but its not "the tone";
32' Pipe Graveyard - YouTube

The improved supply is usually the easiest to latch-on to with the cloth-eared engineer. Anybody should be able to hear that when they go to better amps

Has anyone noted the Steinberg UR series...?
I happen to think the UR44 has a lot of bang for the buck and it's got some decent preamps.
Also comes with Cubase AI which isn't a bad DAW either and gives you the opportunity to move up to the bigger Cubase platform, if so desired...
@ $249 it's a snoot-full of a deal... W/MIDI ��

Since that's out of my low-end range, no. :) The UR22 is another story but I believe their pre's are weak in terms of gain...

Since that's out of my low-end range, no. :) The UR22 is another story but I believe their pre's are weak in terms of gain...

Well, you can plan it to add a stereo preamp at a future date. You can gain stage channel 1 into channel 2. That could be something like a very clean 50-60 dB and maintaining some distortion headroom. Or, you could look at it like a trim control on a mixer. Some MIC preamps have gain on the output, too.

I believe my next interface will be a........ Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD $99.99

It does have MIDI and even inserts. I've seen mostly good reviews on it.

Hard to beat that one currently. MIDI, better power, 4 not just 2 pre's... $99 is crazy.

Reading Amazon reviews it can be USB powered(mobile) but also has a DC power supply for more current.
SOme say it works well with LDC and maybe struggles with Ribbon.

Hard to beat that one currently. MIDI, better power, 4 not just 2 pre's... $99 is crazy.

Reading Amazon reviews it can be USB powered(mobile) but also has a DC power supply for more current.
I have a Triton FetHead and not afraid to use it, but most times I've got some sort of preamp in front of an interface connected to the line in to give a boost.

The MIDAS designed pre have been around for awhile. By most accounts, they've come a long way since the ADA8000. No, I wouldn't expect them to be overly strong on a $99 interface. I have older xenyx that are just acceptable with my low output MICs. I recently bought a newer model with 10 xenyx, so I wasn't that worried about it.

Either way, we don't really know where the OP may go with dynamics - other than needing 60dB gain
My dual ribbon is easier to work with.

"The UR22 is another story but I believe their pre's are weak in terms of gain... " Don't know where that came from Joe? The spec says '60dB' much the same as everyone else. As I said, it is not the decibbable number that matters but what it DOES with it!

And no, I can't knock the good reports the Behringer AIs are getting. Just don't like the way they do business.

Dave.

You may want to consider the Alva Nanoface. Once you get used to the rotary knob, it works great. It is not my main interface, but I use it live as a midi interface. Sometimes I route a couple of mics thru it as well for processing with waves multirack. It is 6in / 6out counting the spdif i/o. Latency is fixed and negligable. I have never had a crash or even a drop out with it in a live setting. The 2 mic pre's are quality also. The only real negative is the breakout cable. The main analog outputs are rca female connectors, but with some cable adaptors, they work fine. Sometimes I have seen brand new ones on ebay for $75. New, they typically sell for $99.

With one slight reservation I shall (again!) reccy the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Yes, two more line ins/outs than you asked for AND digital but you never know!
The KA6 has VERY low latency and 'MIDI people' tend to want this. Drivers are super stable. The reservation? Mic gain is about 55dB iirc but, I have recorded acoustice guitar 1 foot from an SM57 and with the gain flat out the room noise was higher than the pre amp noise. Very clean preamps.

A later and some say slightly better AI (and better than all others at the price!) is the Zoom UAC-2. Meets your spec exactly, 2 in 2 out + MIDI. Not sure what the pre amp gain is but gotta leave you SOME work to do!

Dave.

years earlier the 500ma USB was looked at as a limiting factor and reason "weak" was used a lot.... as its shared power for headphone amps, preamp, and powering the chips etc..the 500ma was pretty small.

the SM57 comment is impressive because those need a decent preamp/gain.

The Zoom has it all and more.... USB 3 is now 900ma and it comes with a home 5V/1A wallwart.

I still like the thought of having the Behringer/Zoom that offers USB power for the road and the wallwart for home quality power. The USB 3+ supposedly doubles+ the USB supply power and offers more power in the headphone amps, preamps, converters etc. so maybe this is all a thing of the past.?

Headphone amps are often overlooked imo, sometimes the low USB power doesnt help them much for that amplifier circuit. A good headphone amp can take on the 600ohm down to the 32ohm but some juice is needed.
The behringer throws in the external 5V/1amp power supply too.

I have given a bit of a power 'budget' CC (post #14) but yes, I agree that 500mA does require some clever design! (but then many VERY highly specified capacitor mics pull LESS than 2mA these days!)

Having higher gain in a amplifier does not require any more current. An NE5532 draws the same juice of the supply be it a unity gain follower or a 60dB amplifier (it will pull more power into lower loads as the class B opstage works harder but op amps are rarely loaded so much)

Yes, the KA6 has a rather feeble HP amp but it IS adequate at say -10dBFS, it is GAIN that is often lacking in HP amps when we are tracking at neg 18 and that issue is NOT peculiar to the KA6 or other bus powered or even RAT powered AIs! (I cite the otherwise excellent Tassy US-16-08) Since the problem IS so common the solution is obvious? A 20 quid HA400 from Bellringers!

The other failing is phantom power but as I said, not a problem for me with 2 AKG P150s nor a Sontronics STC-2.

The situation with USB 3.0 is, as you say much better. Nearly twice the current (and USB 'C' promises much more?) at 900mA. You would think the AI makers would have jumped on this and produced AIs with 4 mic amps, full specc' spook juice and TWO H/P outs with good power delivery...You'd think!

I am of the firm belief that if NI removed digit and produced such an AI with ADAT (when rat powered) and keeping their super stable drivers and super low latency (should be even better with 3.0?) they would clean up.

Dave.

Ya, USB powered is handy, as I have two of them. That doesn't mean I'm gonna' loose sight of better performance from what's usually hooked-up.

A pic of what a usb interface might require for circuitry, and the same with a headphone amp in the realm of surface mount..

Apogee thinks buss power is OK on the small stuff.

Attachments

• p700u.jpg
    p700u.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 6
  • prism_lyra_crop.jpg
    prism_lyra_crop.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 4
I just don't see the relevance of those pictures? You can make a very, very VERY good headphone amplifier with 2 stages of op amps and 4 complimentary high hfe transisitors and the whole thing would draw no more than 15mA per channel.

I am not knocking the high end stuff but it is on the limits of perception and 'diminishing returns'. There are many reasons people buy certain bits of gear, often not logically, the cache of The Valve (aka tube) is a case in point. Valve circuits are at least an order worse in most performance departments compared to even quite modest solid state gear but people still love them! And I am NOT talking about valve guitar amplifiers! They are a special case. There are several theories and explanations as to why valves work well with guitars and some of them even make technical sense!

Dave.

Engineers hear the difference, alright. No qualms about pestering Dave Hill. Very few of the interface MFG have a very, VERY good headphone section - I suppose they may go to the expense, someday. Certainly, good enough for tracking, though

Coolcat probably has a decent USB headphone section from what he described of it. Compared to his Grace amp

I'm curiously finding that some AIs don't have RCA plugs. ? Isn't that pretty basic/common (presumably to plug speakers into)?

Both my buss-powered USB interfaces have RCA out. Could have been the old phone jack and I'd be just as happy

I'm curiously finding that some AIs don't have RCA plugs. ? Isn't that pretty basic/common (presumably to plug speakers into)?
Even though there are no RCA plugs, most interfaces allow you to use TS plugs to connect to a stereo amp. The Line Outs can accommodate TS or TRS plugs. The TS plugs would be the same as RCA plugs and so are redundant.

Back