Audio Interface shopping (low-end)

What powered speakers do you have that have RCA connectors?

I shop low-end all the time thinking I'm going to try some powered models. There's a lot of RCA. Luckily, the poster doesn't have to buy a new apogee cable set as he can just spend $3 on RCA to Phone adapters : )

Low-end can have RCA and Balanced

I rather like to use these rca to 1/4 adapter - Google Search
and keep to standard RCA-RCA cables (of which I have a lot from a previous existence!) . There are various other adaptors, RCA to 2X RCA, RCA-RCA couplers, both singles and twin. I have found these adapters very reliable, that cannot be said for ALL audio adaptors! Perhaps the worse one is the 1/4" jack line socket.

Dave.

One thing my AI doesnt have is the A/B monitor out and I just noticed the Behringer has that too.....and the Mono/Stereo button would be nice though I have that in Reaper. $99 it looks good. One reviewer said they used a Cloudlifter for a SM58 and could have the gain at 25% to work well.

Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD | Sweetwater

hahah Ya, I'm forced to buy cheap stereo cables for many connections and I have some RCA-style cable that I make up with RCA and 6.3 plugs - stereo and MONO. A huge mess of adapter fittings have allowed me to get by with minimal "good" cabling. The one 8-channel snake I have is RCA and I pick up the occasional box of used cable tangle on eBait. Done very well with that.

Since the computer/interface is preamp to amp when going to powered speakers, that should be allotted pretty good cables

Since the computer/interface is preamp to amp when going to powered speakers, that should be allotted pretty good cables

I agree with this^^.

I've had a number of computers since I went digital with Logic and an ISIS interface around the turn of the century, progressively ditching older PCs in favour of more powerful newer ones. In the early days I hooked up the ISIS to powered speakers with TS to TS cables and enjoyed problem-free listening.

However, something changed maybe a dozen or so years later. I started hearing computer noises through the interface. This was a constant irritant, solved only when I switched from TS to TRS to go from interface to monitors. I had considered the usual suspects, e.g. earth loops. However, there was nothing external that would explain why one PC would be noise-free, and another not. I had heard, without confirmation, that some of the newer motherboards were not as effective as older ones in keeping computer noises out.

No, it may not be easy and cheap trying to get setup. Ideally, we could have all that digital and A/C noise in some lead lined chamber : ) I was looking at cheap power conditioners, again, this week.

Back