Audio from DAW to record externally?

Tychi

Hey guys

I have an issue which has been bugging me for ages now so i hope someone here will be able to help!

I want to be able to get sound from my DAW to record externally into something else. So for example, I want to record my bass, with compression/effects, and have that come out of my DAW into a website called Bandhub. Bandhub allows you to record in real time to record collabs with people from all around the world. It's pretty cool but the recording tool is basic. I can record my raw bass straight through my Focusrite Scarlett into bandhub without issues.

I have been using ASIOLINK which works fine...for a bit. As i'm recording the song there are no issues, but when i play the recording back, it will go out of sync at a random time. Watching ASIOLINK as i record, i can see the 'latency' knob under the channel i'm recording into flash red for a split second, which i'm assuming is a spike of latency. my bass goes completely out of sync, while it's in sync during the first part of the track (I recorded it rough as a test to see if it would stay in sync).

Now i'm not sure if it's an issue with my latency settings, or just bandhub in general but it's getting frustrating that it works for a bit and then suddenly goes down hill!

I can provide more information if needed, I'd really appreciate it anyone could share their input to try and help me solve this issue!

Thanks guys :)

(I'm unable to post link as of yet as i'm a noobie here, but i may be able to private message a link if needed as an example of this happening)

I just did a little test, and when i'm recording, i'll hear a 'pop' sound, and when this happens i seem to go out of sync. This is just an observation, and i'm not for certain it's when i go out of sync.

Not sure I understand exactly. Are you saying that you can record to a feed and stay in sync, but after you've laid the track down and try to play it back, that's when it starts having these hiccups and goes out of sync?

Generally, clicks mean data is not being processed fast enough. Sometimes a buffer size setting in the DAW can fix this, but it might require a more powerful processor, more memory, or lighter-weight plugin(s) to make it work in realtime.

Latency is a bugaboo of recording. Usually the DAW manages that by recognizing the latency that is happening, i.e., the fact your playing is getting back to the computer some time after you've heard the other tracks and played, and makes that adjustment when it's writing the new file.

Correct. So on bandhub, you play to a backing track and other peoples tracks if you want to. Normally i'll mute everyone else and play to the backing track so i'm intime with that. When i record i can hear everything perfectly in sync, but when i go back to listen to the recording, it will be out of sync at some point in the track.

Hey guys

I have an issue which has been bugging me for ages now so i hope someone here will be able to help!

I want to be able to get sound from my DAW to record externally into something else. So for example, I want to record my bass, with compression/effects...

What DAW are you using and how many effects do you have plugged into your bass FX chain?

Does your version of Ableton have a "Delay Compensation" in options that can be switched off?

The next question is whether it's out of sync if you bounce that mix (your bass+backing track) out to a file and listen to that.

I've just recorded and bounced the track down and it sounds perfectly in time and sync for me
That's the difference between trying to process the FX in realtime vs not, if I understand it still has the problem when listening to the mix in the DAW. Same comments as in my first reply. Might be fixable with some minor tweaking, or (worst case) it might require some h/w change. I'm not much help beyond that since I'm on a different platform/DAW, sorry.

That's the difference between trying to process the FX in realtime vs not, if I understand it still has the problem when listening to the mix in the DAW. Same comments as in my first reply. Might be fixable with some minor tweaking, or (worst case) it might require some h/w change. I'm not much help beyond that since I'm on a different platform/DAW, sorry.

Ok, so even before you posted this i tried with an old Maudio interface that i had laying around. And low and behold it works. It seems that Bandhub doesn't support focusrite very well. I'm happy it's solved, but also unhappy that i have this lovely little interface which doesn't work for what i bought it for! Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

I'm guessing it's something to do with the driver's interaction with that "link" thing you're using. I'd think you could use the Focusrite drivers and Mix Control (or whatever is current with your interface) to get the sound routed to the Focusrite and DAW without needing some 3rd party stuff. But, I could be wrong!

Back