Audio cutting out

Dylow

Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with the audio cutting out completely in my DAW. I don't mean during recording or during playback but while I'm messing around with guitar, bass, or a VST like EzDrummer or Nexus. I've been using Reaper for many years (although I'm no expert at home recording, just winging it!) and after I load it up it might be only 20 seconds and everything goes dead, sometimes a few minutes.

I've tried a different DAW (Studio One 3) and the same has been happening except after a longer while. I've tried reinstalling Reaper, reinstalling all my VSTs one by one and checking if one of them is causing the problem but still can't figure it out. It first started happening after I installed XLN's Addictive Keys and everything cut out after playing around with that for a while. I've tried to get rid of it but there is no uninstaller or a .dll file that I can delete. I didn't bring it into Studio One to see if that was the problem, but as I said, Studio One seems to do the same. Just a coincidence?

I use the Scarlett 2i2 interface and made sure the drivers were up to date but that didn't work.

I'm running Windows 10 (64bit)
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C +8G 3.50Ghz
8gb RAM

If anyone could help that would be great, thanks!

Is it just the track you are messing with that cuts out? Or is it everything?

If you are ok with recording and playback, but not when just making noises, maybe there is an auto-mute function of some sort happening.

I don't even get as far as recording and playback because it has cut out by then. If I did I'm sure it would cut out too. And yes it cuts out everything not just the track I'm on.

On Reaper, even the meter on the track I have armed doesn't register when it cuts out. But it's not like the program has stopped working or it's frozen. Funnily though on Studio One 3 the meter does still register when I hit the guitar or whatever even though there's no sound.

I don't even get as far as recording and playback because it has cut out by then. If I did I'm sure it would cut out too. And yes it cuts out everything not just the track I'm on.

On Reaper, even the meter on the track I have armed doesn't register when it cuts out. But it's not like the program has stopped working or it's frozen. Funnily though on Studio One 3 the meter does still register when I hit the guitar or whatever even though there's no sound.

Reaper has an auto mute function built in. If you record or playback to hot, it will automatically mute the channel. Just letting you know.

Cheers guys, I didn't know about the Reaper auto-mute, good to know in future.

I might have narrowed it down to my audio interface, the Scarlett 2i2.

I plugged it out and loaded up Studio One, and was messing around with Nexus using my midi keyboard with ASIO as my audio device. Spent ages playing and nothing cut out. Then tried the same with Reaper and spent over an hour playing around, where before going through the 2i2 it wouldn't even last minutes.

Now the question is what the hell could be wrong my Scarlett. Any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with the audio cutting out completely in my DAW. I don't mean during recording or during playback but while I'm messing around with guitar, bass, or a VST like EzDrummer or Nexus. I've been using Reaper for many years (although I'm no expert at home recording, just winging it!) and after I load it up it might be only 20 seconds and everything goes dead, sometimes a few minutes.

I've tried a different DAW (Studio One 3) and the same has been happening except after a longer while. I've tried reinstalling Reaper, reinstalling all my VSTs one by one and checking if one of them is causing the problem but still can't figure it out. It first started happening after I installed XLN's Addictive Keys and everything cut out after playing around with that for a while. I've tried to get rid of it but there is no uninstaller or a .dll file that I can delete. I didn't bring it into Studio One to see if that was the problem, but as I said, Studio One seems to do the same. Just a coincidence?

I use the Scarlett 2i2 interface and made sure the drivers were up to date but that didn't work.

I'm running Windows 10 (64bit)
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C +8G 3.50Ghz
8gb RAM

If anyone could help that would be great, thanks!

Since your on a windows 10 machine there is a few performance adjustments you have to do. You have to disable all of the sound cards and also tell windows not to use the interface. disable all power management in windows and in bios and set the computer to always on. Make sure you are using the Asio driver in reaper.
This should clear things up for you...

Also, I recommend using a separate video card instead of the built in video. One that has embedded direct x 11 or better, and its own memory. Also turning up the hyper transport a little does help too, but this is a last resort adjustment.

Since your on a windows 10 machine there is a few performance adjustments you have to do. You have to disable all of the sound cards and also tell windows not to use the interface. disable all power management in windows and in bios and set the computer to always on. Make sure you are using the Asio driver in reaper.
This should clear things up for you...

Also, I recommend using a separate video card instead of the built in video. One that has embedded direct x 11 or better, and its own memory. Also turning up the hyper transport a little does help too, but this is a last resort adjustment.

Thanks a million for that, I've been busy lately and haven't got around to following what you advised. Hopefully around the weekend I'll have a look at it, and no doubt be back to ask a question or two lol

Thanks again, appreciate it

Back