ART Tube MP vs. Tube MP Studio

Rdub

I'm probably going to get a mic preamp to start playing around with recording my drums using one condenser mic.

Is the ART Tube MP Studio worth the extra $$$ as opposed to the regular Tube MP? Which would you recommend?

thanks in advance!

I have both, Art Tube and a Behringer.
If you can afford the difference, get the Behringer. It's really great.

If you need bang for the buck, Behringer will give u at least a small pop(nowhere near bang)...but if you only need 1 preamp, use the Art and the meter isnt necessary IMO.....

Nonono, not the Behringer mixers. The Behringer PREAMPS.
The Behringer Ultragain PRO MIC2200. $189 at Zzounds.
And don't have it myself, but I still haven't heard a bad word about it. It's twice the price of the Tube MP, and it has twice the channels and all the features you need.
Including a meter. And YES, you need a meter, because the LED's that act as meters on the Tube MP doens't work properly on like half of them.

In answer to the original question, I have both and the meter is kind of a big nothing. I wasted no time in destroying it, so now the only difference between my Studio and standard MP is the studio has the built in limiter, which I never use. Also, for reasons unknown, the studio has a duller sound. I have a new tube on order to try and brighten it up.

Yup.

I should have been more specific, You peg the analog meter once and they are never quite that useful anymore.

You cannot beat the behringer for an afordable mic pre, My 602a was only 32.00 and has two transparent mic pres. Sur I have a beter one now but it costed me several times as much to aquire it.

What brand?

I wasn't using the VU anyway since I'm more interested in the levels on my computer, and I've only got one pair of eyes.

What brand tubes you got

Back