ART Tube MP Studio V3 vs the Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200

bbe

Hi. im looking to get an ART Tube MP Studio V3 preamp or the Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200 preamp so i can have some form of preamp to warm up the sound on my home recordings. i cant afford anything over 100 dollars cause im on a really tight budget, so these two caught my eye. which one of these preamps, or ones in the similar price range, would be best for me?

I'm not familiar with either to be honest...people tend to hate the behringer brand alot...in terms of sound quality and construction etc. I think any pre that claims to offer some kind of tube warmth for less than 100 bills is kidding themselves.

"Warm" is a useless term, particularly when it comes to cheap tube preamps. The tubes run at low voltage (aka starved-plate, aka "toob") and really only add distortion, which is usually not very pleasant. The Studio Projects VTB-1 is a pretty good pre for $100. It has a starved-plate toob, but you can also run it entirely solid-state, which I prefer. If you need more than 1 input, a mixer is a good idea at this price.

ive got a behringer xenyx 12 input mixer, and i love it along with the couple other behringer products i own.

so, are u saying that a cheap preamp wont help any if ive got a mixer? and if so, how much do i need to spend to get a decent preamp that will create a nice sound, or should i be looking for a different piece of gear all together?

by reccomendation, I got a yamaha mg8/2 and was very pleased with the sound quality I got. It comes with 4 very good mic preamps in it. The yamaha mg10/2 is the same but has extra channels instead of onboard effects, and is slightly cheaper. The onboard effects are a little cheesy, so the 10 is a better deal, I'd say (especially since you shouldn't use the onboard effects for recording...).

Back