Apollo Twin Thunderbolt with Lynx Hilo A/D converter

morosh

Hello everyone!
I'm thinking of buying a Lynx Hilo A/D Converter to beneffit from that amzing clear sound they have but I want to know if I can use it with My Apollo Twin Thunderbolt interface!
I'm sorry but I'm not very good at this things and maybe I;m a little ignorant but I need some help here!
How can I connect this two devices to work and to beneffit from the better A/D conversion of Lynx? How shoul I route the signal? What cables shoul I use, SPDIF, ADAT?
I will use it just for vocal recordings,one or two at a time in Pro Tools!
Can someone give me some help here?
Thank You!

It's not designed to be used with your interface, since it's supplanting the A/D and D/A roles that performs. The whole marketing message is that it's got these fantastic converters, so why would you put another set between it and the computer?

You can chuck the Apollo to the side, or perhaps trade it in for a nice microphone preamp or two if you don't already have those. Or, you could just relegate it [the Hilo] for playback if you wanted to keep the Apollo.

That's a crapload of dimes to spend on something like that - certainly out of the ballpark for many HRs I'd surmise, but for a great room with great speakers, e.g., like a mastering house might have, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

As Keith said, unless you had all your other elements in order the value of this would probably go unnoticed, apart from looking pretty.

To answer your question directly you would run this as part of your thunderbolt chain, the Apollo would have to go at the end unless you have 2 thunderbolt outs on your mac or pc and connect audio in or out as you see fit

Don't bother with the Lynx. The Apollo has very good converters and you will never be able to tell the difference. I used to have Lavry converters and while they are the best of the best, I couldn't hear a difference between them and my consumer grade interface in my home studio. Everything else in your studio has to be top-notch before you can hear the difference between converters. Monitors, mics, treatment, etc.... Otherwise, you're just throwing money out the window.

I used to have Lavry converters and while they are the best of the best, I couldn't hear a difference between them and my consumer grade interface in my home studio.

I kinda lusted for Lavry converters for awhile...but then decided that there were probably 35 other points of upgrade I could do in my studio that would have more significant impact on the audio than taking the converters up a couple of notches.

I mean...if you already have top-of-the-line *everything*...then yeah, might as well carry that over to the converters too...but really, who can claim that in the home/project studio world.
Spend your money on a new mic...monitors...preamp....heck, some acoustic treatment even.

Oh...so what do you do with your Lavry gear...?....I assume you sold it and used the money to fund some more rewarding audio gear...? :)

I kinda lusted for Lavry converters for awhile...but then decided that there were probably 35 other points of upgrade I could do in my studio that would have more significant impact on the audio than taking the converters up a couple of notches.

I mean...if you already have top-of-the-line *everything*...then yeah, might as well carry that over to the converters too...but really, who can claim that in the home/project studio world.
Spend your money on a new mic...monitors...preamp....heck, some acoustic treatment even.

Oh...so what do you do with your Lavry gear...?....I assume you sold it and used the money to fund some more rewarding audio gear...? :)

I did, I bought my UAD interface, some plugs and paid off some bills. I had the Lavry DA-10 and AD-10; they were gifts. I felt a little bad selling them, but the money i gained was used wisely. I get far more utility out of the Apollo interface than any perceived benefit from the Lavry's. The difference in quality just isn't notable, not in a home studio, not at that price point.

This seems very much a consensus, that very high end converters don't really make a subjective difference unless everything else is of similar pricing (I won't say "quality" because I don't think there is much, if anything 'wrong' with RME or even top range Focusrite, Audient converters?)

The stand out piece of equipment that has improved immensely it seems in the last decade is the monitor. I lust after the PMC Result 6 (ONE day! Maybe) but the sky really is the limit especially if you need stonking performance from a small speaker. Genelecs, PMC with DSP...

THAT is where my money would go should I ever have any!

Dave.

Back