Anyone looked at the Yamaha AW2816??

berkleywoods

Hey,
I'm looking to purchase the standalone Yamaha AW2816 for Christmas. Looks like a powerful machine.. Anyone have any comments about it??

I've thought about going the PC route instead but there's so many options and it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm stuck tightly to this 2000 dollar budget and the consensus I've gotten is that I can't put together a PC machine that beats the Yamaha under that price.

Any comments??

Yo Berkley of the Woods:]

I have the Yam 2816 in my studio; however, I've not unplugged my Yam MD8 yet.

The 2816 is really a PC with all the menus in a smaller environment.

The manual, AND YAMAHA PAY ATTENTION TO THIS, "REALLY SUCKS."

For such a prestigious company to market a "good" product with such a piss-poor manual is not unheard of. I also have the Yamaha DX-7 which took me three years to really understand.

I just got the "free video" from Yamaha which will help defuse my brain as I attempt to use this box. From almost all reports, the sound you will get is GREAT.

So, man, I can say that the 2816 is really a hi-tech box with about all you need to burn down your CD. If you are familiar with Roland Boxes, the 2816 probably works in a similar fashion.

I just think it is a real bummer for a good product to be delivered to the public with a toilet paper manual. There, I've vented.

Will post when I get into the video. If you buy the 2816, you can register your box with Yamaha and get the "free video."

Merry Christmas
Green Hornet

berkleywoods,

I've had an AW2816 for a short time and have been happy with it. I usually end up having buyer's remorse after awhile but so far everything has been as advertised.

Specific things that appealed to me personally: motorized faders (restores your settings when switching between songs and works great with mixing automation), 24 bit recording, Internal cd-rw (there are several other units that have burners but it was something that I wanted), 8 input channels expandable (I needed more than 2) and the overall construction of the unit.

Dislikes: The only thing I didn't like was only having 2 xlr's. Other than that I think it's incredible for $2,000.

I did several months of research before buying this. I think that there are several PC based solutions that are just as good or better. The deciding factor for me was the fact that I couldn't fit my electronic drum kit in my office where I have my PCs. I like the fact that I can carry the 2816 out to another room to record or take it over to a friend's house.

I agree with Green Hornet that the manual isn't great. I basically use it as a reference. There are certain functions that you expect the recorder to be able to do. I skim through the table of contents and find the appropriate section. Then I work through their instructions until I figure it out.

I'm admittedly more of a newbie than an expert on this stuff. I've been in professional recording studios a few times so I have a basic familiarity with the recording process. These are just some of my comments as an AW2816 owner.

Pete

Thanks for the replys....It definately seems like an awesome machine.....do either of you have and mp3s yet of any recordings you've done on the machine??

Yo Berk:

Got the video a few days ago and have been through it twice.

It helps a great deal; however, the chick doing the voice/over gets babbling about 200 words per minute like she will only get paid for 22 minutes no matter how many words she has to spit out.

But, as I said, the video does help one understand the "machinations" of this box. So, I expect to be doing tracks and mixing and burning in a short time.

Green Hornet

Back