Any Suggestion for a Comprehensive Book?

Calcuttan

Hi
I am a newbie sound recorder. I record mostly nature sounds, particularly bird songs and urban sounds for myself. I do share some of them online on forums like freesound.org or soundcloud.com or tumblr but I know I am perhaps the only serious listener of them - which is fine with me :) I am in this hobby purely for my own pleasure and I really don't give a damn or have any illusions about becoming famous with my field recordings.

I started off with an Edirol R09HR and graduated to Marantz PMD 661 Mk II. I use Rode NT 4 and Sennheiser K6/ME66. Somewhere down the line I might go in for a pair of binaural mics.

I use mostly Soundforge or FinalCutPro to do some basic editing on the sound clips.

I was wondering if I could read up on some books - particularly on the processing techniques and theories to improve the sounds I record. I don't intend buying too many books. Perhaps just one. So a more holistic kind of book would suit me fine. Will look forward to your suggestions, experts.

Regards
Sudipto Roy/Calcuttan

I dunno if you'll find many people on here that do more than home recording bands, but I'd love to find a book about this too.

We only briefly covered field recording during a semester at my college. I'd love to learn more about it.

Last time I recommended a book I was shot down in flames because apparently no one needs to pay for anything because it's free on the net. :facepalm:

I am trying to think of a book that would suit what you are doing, maybe a book about sound for film & television as this would have more relevance to ambient sound.

Alan.

Back