Another Thread - Mic Only Playing through Right Ear

zild1221

I have a dilemma. I have everything, it sounds great, but any live sound, or recording, only plays through my right ear. I have tried audacity for recording as well as in windows.

This is a put down because I was hoping to use it for live streams.

MXL990
Lexicon Alpha USB Interface
Nady Phantom Power
Windows 7 64 Bit

Grado SR60i's connected through a AMP/DAC combo to my PC.

I tried to use it over Ventrilo to talk to people, as well as Skype (just for testing, Skype quality is disgusting). In both, it just picks up a low static sound and no voice what so ever.

On another similar note, I tried out REAPER because it has a full trial version. In mono, the mic does the same thing that it does in Ventrilo and Skype. I have to set it to stereo in REAPER. Once I do that, it only records/plays in the right side. I can then click the MONO button down at the bottom in the MASTER thing, and adjust the the I/O tab to -10dB to the left to center the sound.

Are you using XLR in on Lexicon? If yes then make sure you have the right input selected. It seems now in both cases (skype and reaper) that you have selected input 1 instead of input 2(XLR). Since there is nothing going into input 1 you get static noise, also explains why it records only to right channel (channel 2).

I did the same thing when I started out: mic recorded to stereo track = sound panned to one side = me feeling like an idiot when a senior member explained ...

Don't feel like an idiot!

Are you using XLR in on Lexicon? If yes then make sure you have the right input selected. It seems now in both cases (skype and reaper) that you have selected input 1 instead of input 2(XLR). Since there is nothing going into input 1 you get static noise, also explains why it records only to right channel (channel 2).

I think I've lost you. I am using the Mic (XLR) in. There is only 1 XLR input. There is also no way to switch between inputs.

Well, yes there is a way to switch between inputs. More importantly, make sure you are inputting/recording to a 'MONO' track. A two channel interface will typically be seen by a DAW, as having two inputs on a stereo track. Only one side would receive signal. A single 'mono' input source=mono track.

Yeap, you just have to select correct channel in Reaper and XLR input seems to be channel 2.

If I want to do live streams, how would I go about doing so? Is there something like Virtual Audio Cable, that can take a stereo input and mix it to mono, or even pan it like in Reaper? With it outputting in stereo, almost no software can pick it up.

If you want to record a stereo source, you just need an interface with two mic inputs (preamps). Your Alpha can do it (via 'LINE' inputs), but you need to feed it with two line inputs from a mixer, or any two channel preamp. The Alpha only has one mic preamp.

I'm not sure this kind of software exists... maybe you can do some adjustments in Lexicon Alpha's control panel (if Lexicon has it).

But the easyest solution would be buying a preamp and plugging it to Line in 1.

Back