another Reaper Question

doug662

Hi,
When recording, and say 1:00 into a 2:00 song you make a mistake and you want to take up where your last good part was. What is the correct or preferred way? If I use punch I/O then, as far as i can tell I have to extend the I/O segment to the end of the song's end. I am looking over the manual now trying to find the answer, but as always I am probably scanning instead of reading:facepalm:

You have the right idea. You use the time selection. You don't have to go to the end of the song. Just put your IN and OUT where you want them. The thing you have to do after that is make sure you go to OPTIONS up top and select "Auto-Punch in time selection" or something along those lines. You can then start the song anywhere you want and it will start and stop recording at the start and end of the time selection. Make sure you press RECORD, not just PLAY.

To be honest, I don't even do it that way. I just create a track that I record on, and then move the parts I like up to the track I want them on.

Ok, but here is my crux, I do not want a stopping point. I want to set my punch in part but be able to have the rest after the punch in as a "new" recording. Say, its just guitar{dobro} and I want to .....say 1:30 mins into ......start from that point go on till I decide when to stop playing

Ok, but here is my crux, I do not want a stopping point. I want to set my punch in part but be able to have the rest after the punch in as a "new" recording. Say, its just guitar{dobro} and I want to .....say 1:30 mins into ......start from that point go on till I decide when to stop playing

Oh, I thought you wanted to do the opposite. Sorry. In that case, just extend your time selection to the end of the song, or even past the end of the song just like you said in your OP. Why is that a problem?

No its not a problem, it works. I was thinking, if I want to just record a track of just me noodling around, then I would have to over select a "time frame" OR set one specific time from the start. This is what I was trying to work around :facepalm: . It seems there should be a way. On normal record you can set the starting point there but then that defeats the purpose. On punch I/O i have to be specific on time or over set the time.

Back