Another Noob Start-up thread - DONT SHHOT!! :D

MichaelMan

Hello everybody. I'm Michael and I'm from Australia. Hope everyone is well. I have been reading through some of the posts here already and i feel like i will learn a lot here.

Now down to business :D

I am looking to set up a small Home Recording set-up...

Just so you know, I am a singer and I also play drums and piano.

...Now I already have in mind the computer setup that I want which you will see below. Do you think its fine for a home recording outfit? Or should I consider going for an iMac instead? Pros/Cons?

The PC specs:
ASUS P5Q pro $168.00
Western Digital 500GB HDD SATA $83.00
4GB Kingston 800Mhz DDR2 RAM $93.00
SATA Pioneer 215BK DVD-RW $29.00
Nexus Caterpillar Real Silent Case - $99.00
Enermax Modu82+ 525W $131.00
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz $193.00

Total: $796

80G HDD for OS and Applications.

The Case already has soundproofing material in it which is a bonus in my mind.

My main concern is the actual Interface. I am interested in a Firewire Interface rather than a USB one. I know that most of these Firewire interfaces can't actually be used as a live mixer unlike the M-Audio NRV10.

From research I have done and questions I have asked on other sites the Alesis Multimix 8/12 Firewire Interface has been suggested as a good starting point, and some have suggested a rack style pre-amps including the Motu 8pre.

As the title says I am a Noob in this area so I'm learning with every post.

What I want to do initially is be able to record Vocals, Piano, Guitar and Drums (with Shotguns, Cant afford a full Fledged Mixer to fit all the mics). For Vocals I already have a Rode NT1A and a Shure SM58. I will Purchase some shotguns or some SM57's down the track.

I also want to be able to plug in my Digital Piano to the mixer. I would like to use its actual sound when recording rather than the VST's provided via MIDI. It has Left and Right Stereo RCA plugs, but if the VST's are better than the actual Digital Pianos then ill use that... :D (Yes, I know this is probably the noobest part of the whole post...lol)

The mixers that I have found to be more fitting to what i want to do are the Alesis MultiMix 12 and the M-Audio NRV10. I don't want to spend more than $800US on the interface.

Do you guys have any other suggestions as to the mixer? Or even on the whole setup in general.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

MichaelMan

Last edited:
Alesis might have a more recognizable name, but I think the Phonic is a better choice for a home studio. The only difference between the two is the Phonic taps the signals right after the trim knob where as the Alesis includes more of the channel strip (eq and fader).

The reason I like phonic's method is it sends the raw signal to the computer unadulterated and I can apply eq and effects to the mxer's channel strips to taste for monitoring while tracking. To me this is important, because what I want to hear at the time of tracking (like reverb) might not work when mixing down all the tracks. With the alesis, you either have to leave everything centered or track the channels' settings and hope it's right.

And I think quality of the pre-amps are about the same....

I don't believe either one will do midi, but USB midi interfaces are cheap.

Peace,

I haven't had any reliability problems with the phonic. The mic pre's would be the only question. I'm no expert, but heard they aren't stellar. But they are clean and quiet and I don't think they add any color. But I'm no expert. YMMV.

Good luck and....
Peace,

Back