Ancient tube preamps vs. new gear

OldCopper

I've gotten it into my head to get a mic preamp to interface with my DAW instead of going through my Mackie 1604. I'm using a Rode NT-2 mic.

I started looking at Pro-MPAs and DBX 386s which are way cool and in my price range. But in tripping around the web I've found old Ampex 350 units stripped down to their preamp, rack mount sections. I was looking at an early, all tube (no PCB) model. I have no way of hearing one of these critters. Assuming the tubes are good and the caps are up dated are there considerations in using one of these? Is it crazy to spend as much on one of these units as I would for a dual channel preamp of recent vintage? Yeah I know I'd have to get a phantom power unit, too.

I'd appreciate some advice.

thanks,

Mark

The main "problem" so to speak is that you never know how it's gonna sound. At least you sorta know with the new pres you mentioned.

And the main "concern" are the caps and tubes as you mentioned. Not a problem if you can replace 'em yourself.

Speaking of vintage gear, R.E. I read in the archives where you were thinking of aquiring one of B. Averills pre's. Did you and if so how has it worked out?

Well... Nope

Actually, I didn't... I still WILL have a NEVE or API from Brent Averill, eventually.

Instead, I bought a DaviSound TB-3 stereo solid-state pre/stereo tube compressor; the tube can also be switched-out of the signal-chain. I also bought a DaviSound TB-1 stereo hybrid (solid-state/tube) pre.

They're made to order so the TB-3 showed-up at my door just about 2 weeks ago and I'm expecting the TB-1 in about a month, hopefully.

I've not been able to play with the TB-3 too much, yet. But I've come to realize, the TB-3 is one of the most versetile compressors you're ever gonna run into.

I've telling everyone for awhile here, you owe it to yourself to at least browse and read the DaviSound website.

http://www.davisound.com

Hey R.E. The TB 3 is starting to look interesting. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on it as you use it. This might be what I've been looking for in a warmer upper.

Maybe

Well I'll keep you up-dated as I get more play out of it.
You want warmth? Oh man! You'll have all the warmth you'll want... You can even control the headroom/saturation of the tube; seperate from the input and output of the unit. Not to mention that you can also control how much of the pure even harmonics you want to hear.

And, from now-on, there will be optional release controls; which mine has.

Maybe when I get my computer up and running next week, I'll post 2 MP3s; 1 w/my favorite setting so far and 1 w/o anything.

Back