Analogue studio - general advice

socksnsmokes

Hi all,

I'm new here, and for ages I've wanted to build an all analogue studio in my room. I wouldn't consider myself the most tech savvy and proficient person, but I think I'm a half decent singer/songwriter/guitar and keys player. I've wrote plenty of songs on my own, and through my inspiration of artists such as Mac Demarco and other older artists I really want an old school style method of recording.

Now for anyone who doesn't know, Mac Demarco is a sort of jangle-pop/lo-fi artist, and he writes all his own music and records it to tape. I don’t want to do this for 2 reasons, 1 being they’re expensive nowadays and 2 it’s hard to find one in good condition. So therefore, my first question or piece of advice i’m seeking is what’s a good alternative to this without going digital? ive considered hybrid mixers, cd/sd recorders, and looked at digital mixers with sd. since i’m not familiar with mixers/recorders etc, i guess i just need some clarity on the possibilities i have, and whether what i’m considering is even possible.

At the moment, i’m looking at a Presonus AR16, and i’d solely record into the sd, but something’s telling me that there’s a better solution. i’ve also looked at the roland sd/cd recorder although they’re quite pricey.

my second concern would also be the mixer itself, as in, how do they work? i’ve done lots of research into them (especially the AR16) and i’d have a solid understanding of how to work it, however i have 2 questions being, 1 when i want to record all my instruments into it, can the mixer play them back to me through the monitors and i’d be able to play the signals in sync if i desire etc, and 2, what kind of interface would i need to transfer mic to instrument lines into my mixer? as the AR16 only has 2 instrument lines, so what would i need to transfer these and basically have more than 2 instrument lines going to my mixer?

(just realised i posted this half way through typing, so this is the whole thing)

again i’m new here so go easy lol, i’ll get there.
if anyone has questions about what other interfaces i’m planning on buying eg preamps, monitors then ask away.

feedback greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
As it is, you're not into the realm of analog at all.
Post title is totally deceiving. :D

Actually put together an analog studio, or dive right in to digital and get a daw.

There's a youtube channel called recording revolution where he puts together a studio for 350 bucks. That and a computer and you're good to go.

:D

Last edited:
Yea, as soon as you said CD, you were DOA.

If you go digital, you can still use a lot of analog "outboard"equipment. You can also keep it lo-fi if you want. But without staying analog, you really are just kidding yourself being analog.

I really want an old school style method of recording.

An old school recording is capturing a performance, not this 'modern' record a bar and copy and paste it.
It's a way of working that comes about because of the technical limitations of analog.
You get that workflow through necessity and experience.

So get a cassette 4 track and get to work. :D
soksnsmokes said:
Mac Demarco is a sort of jangle-pop/lo-fi artist

Cassette will definitely get you that lo-fi sound.

Having lived through vinyl, OR tape and cassette (and watched musical son struggle to get decent results) I simply don't "get" analogue recording. My son did and used to make recordings onto a Teac A3440 but then dump the tracks into Samplitude and 'manipulate' them there. Best of both?

You could do it the other way? Get a decent AI and build your tracks then F them Up (imho!) with a cassette machine!

I just absolutely LOVE the fact that you can set a mic up into a DAW, peaking to -12dBFS and then just forget about the recording issues (24 bit, 44/48kHz) Taken a century to get there and I for one don't want the struggles with tape setup, cleaning and dynamic range any more!

Dave.

There is some kind of warmth from analogue which purists are attracted to .I used to have a reel to reel multi track but unless you were very proficient , which I wasn't , the results could be really quite poor. The convenience of digital lends a potential for non technical people such as myself to make some progress and arguably much more affordably. I guess I'm referring more to traditional style multi tracks In a digital format . I still wouldn't trust myself anywhere near a computer any more than it would trust me near it

There is some kind of warmth from analogue which purists are attracted to .I used to have a reel to reel multi track but unless you were very proficient , which I wasn't , the results could be really quite poor. The convenience of digital lends a potential for non technical people such as myself to make some progress and arguably much more affordably. I guess I'm referring more to traditional style multi tracks In a digital format . I still wouldn't trust myself anywhere near a computer any more than it would trust me near it

So how are you sending this to the forum? The only real difference between a digital multitracker and an AI/DAW/computer setup is the DAW!
You have to get signals into the Mtrkr so that means pre amps and converters. You have to get them out and that means D/A converters. Now you have (say) 8 ananlogue audio tracks. WTF do you DO with them? Do you have a mixer? Somehow you have to edit,clean, modify,pan and 'mix' those tracks down to a stereo result. Doing that in a computer is WAAAAY cheaper and easier.

So, in the nicest possible way, WHAT is your problem!? (BTW, analogue "warmf" is an illusion. You are listening to digital sound all the time and not knowing it. Lots of vinyl was 'digitally remastered'. The digital process is present at some point in almost every chain of sound production. Yes, many people pay shedloads of money to record on Studers and Ampex'es but the guys that run those machines EARN their bloody money! )

Dave.

Dave.

Yes but there's still a learning curve with all that whereas a traditional style multi track is more intuitive to get started on . Also the layout for a decent computer and software is another consideration against a entry type digital multi track

By way of example an 8 track with basic on board mastering effects and inbuilt stereo mics is about £160. That's a ready to start piece of equipment . I can't see a decent computer and software costing that

Nobody could be deluded into believing something like sergeant peppers was recorded digitally whether it's digitally remastered or not

Yes but there's still a learning curve with all that whereas a traditional style multi track is more intuitive to get started on . Also the layout for a decent computer and software is another consideration against a entry type digital multi track

You keep evading the question. HOW do you post on this forum? If you are using almost any kind of computer (not a phone) THAT will almost certainly be more than powerful enough to record 8 tracks and once 'in the can' you don't need very much PC horsepower to run 8 tracks in a DAW's mixer. I am typing on a 6yr+ old HP laptop with a 4core i3 processor (8G ram but it was fine with 4G) and, believe me! It is stuffed with all kind of day2day ***T! But it can still run the demo of Samplitude Pro X3, a screen full of tracks. You would need to spend 10s of 1000s of $$ on a mixer and a WALL full of outboard FX to come close to the facilities in Sam px3. Reaper is WAY cheaper but still has the value of a good car in FX.

Learning curve? Everything has one of those. I am the laziest bstd under the sun and have barely scratched 1% of 1% of what my DAWs can do but I get done what I need to as it arises (which is not a lot because the 'musician' sugared off to France!)

Download the demo of Samplitude or Reaper (or one of a dozen others) and have a bloody go!

Dave.

In fact there's an idea I might just sing into the phone that ought to give me pretty vintage style quality or at least the sort of quality i used to manage on the reel to reel

This is a phone

I have a phone. Couldn't do what you do with yours so you must have SOME sort of smarts. BTW £160 buys you a very good AI (my KA6 e.g.) Built in mics? Ok for podding bet you soon get pissed off with those. STILL need to hear what you have done so another £50 for even starter cans £300 for basic monitors.

We all KNOW SPs was recorded on tape! And even if we didn't we could guess because of the barely adequate noise floor (by today's standards) and probably some wow and flutter if we were really picky!

Dave.

Too old to change . All they needed to do was make a more pro version of the dp008ex and that would be enough . 8 tracks is plenty and keeps it simple and focused Yes I agree with the mic upgrade

But then you've got to get mics with a computer anyway and the old analogue stuff was big bucks in its day.probably relatively cheap second hand now granted

Too old to change . All they needed to do was make a more pro version of the dp008ex and that would be enough . 8 tracks is plenty and keeps it simple and focused Yes I agree with the mic upgrade

Ok, we shall agree to disagree? BTW, lots of peeps are doing some serious recording stuff on their PHONES these days!

Dave.

Back