Analog Multitrack recorders vs. Digital Multitrack recorders

Oops sorry, I'm new to this. I forgot ADAT was digital. So basically theres two types of analog media then? Reel To Reel Tape, and Cassette Tapes?

As for my final decision, I think it shall be the Tascam 688. It's old, but man, I can get a good price on it used, and it has lots of features.

Maybe I missed the original point here....but to me, orificium already has the makings of the best muti-track recorder right in the computer that he is using to communicate with all of us. Get a good basic program like n-Track for $35 and he is on his way with quite a few channels. Then he can use the cash for some good mics or a cd burner, then he is in buisness. Just another idea....

Sorry about misspelling Multi-track in the previous post. I also wanted to add my two cents worth on the digital vs. analog debate. It is totally up to each person to decide which one they like better. I think digital is just awesome....I don't miss tape a bit. IMHO

Or maybe he'd like to record 4 or more tracks at a time (in which case he'd need an audio card with 4+ inputs....i.e. $$$) or he would like the option of recording at various locations (not just where his PC is) in which case the suggestions here regarding portable workstations make sense.

Mark

488 all the way. i guess 688 as well. dont bugger with digital at that pricerange/level. casettes and such based multitrackers are eay to carry around and use. i mean SIMPLE to use. you will mic your drums press rec. and hey presto do the same and in no time you will have a song. you really wont be able to hear a lack of frequency response. its obviously not going ot cd for duplication. go cassette 8 track. 100%

MGS... first of all, it doesn't cost that much for a 4 input/output card. I have a Gadget Labs 4/24 that cost about $200 and it is top notch in every way. He does not specify that he needs to record any certain number of tracks at a time anyway. He also does not specify the need to change locations...maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. My only point was to say that for well under $400, he can have 16 tracks and the ability to do alot more than he thought possible by going with a PC workstation. For just a bit more, he can get a CD burner and be able to mix to CD, and even create CD's for the band to sell at gigs, which will pay for everything else quite quickly if he gets all of the friends, and familys to buy one. If getting more for his money is his main goal, then you can't beat the PC route...if mobility and ease of use are his goals, then he can go with the cassettes. IMHO

Back