Analog Mixer to DAW

timothypberner

Hey guys,

So I'm just getting into home recording, I'm a newbie, so I'm sorta not sure about a lotta stuff.

Anyway, I'm hoping to buy the Samson 8Kit (Pack of drum microphones), for recording into Cubase. This afternoon my neighbour gave me his Yamaha EMX300 (12 Channel analog mixing desk). What I'd really like to do is have the drum mics going through the desk into Cubase, for recording, as well as being able to mix my tracks using the EMX300. (I hope that makes sense! If it didn't I'll explain further)

I'm not really sure how to do this though. I've heard about analog to digital converters, but I'm not really sure of how to use them. Do I need one? If so, what are some examples of them?

Also, the EMX300 doesn't appear to have separate outputs for each channel. Don't know if that's helpful or not, but there you go. If you want a picture of the input and output jacks I'm more than happy to get one up here.

Thank you so so much guys!!!
Timothy.

That mixer isn't going to help you record your drums. You need an interface with 8 inputs to get all 8 mics individually into Cubase. You would mix your recorded tracks inside Cubase so you don't need the hardware mixer for that either, just one stereo output on the interface to monitor what you're doing.

Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies. So, this mixer isn't going to be helpful for recording, however, what about a digital mixer? I'm planning on getting the Yamaha MG16XU digital mixing console - is it possible to rig this up to use record onto Cubase, or mix my tracks in Cubase?

A digital mixer such as the Presonus Live would do the trick, but it's probably more than you need.

Look for an audio interface that has eight mike inputs, such as Tascam US-1800 or Presonus Firepod

My advice would to be to get the whole 'mixer' thing out of your head. Unless you plan to purchase a bunch of expensive outboard gear, the mixer is going to do you no benefit for the task you are talking about.

I second the Tascam US1800 for your needs.

Please read the thread link that mjb posted.

And no, the Yamaha digital mixer you mentioned will not do what you want. Waste of money man. Only 2 tracks sent via USB2.0 to DAW. Worthless for multitrack recording.

My advice would to be to get the whole 'mixer' thing out of your head. Unless you plan to purchase a bunch of expensive outboard gear, the mixer is going to do you no benefit for the task you are talking about.

I second the Tascam US1800 for your needs.

Please read the thread link that mjb posted.

And no, the Yamaha digital mixer you mentioned will not do what you want. Waste of money man. Only 2 tracks sent via USB2.0 to DAW. Worthless for multitrack recording.

All of these guys are right. I wished I had went the interface route. I payed 1000.00 for a mixer I didn't need for recording, I moonlight as a live sound guy so it's not a total waste for me. But for recording it is, I basically have a 1000.00 headphone and talkback unit. These guys know what they are talking about. listen to them.:D

oh yea, plus the 800.00 I spent on outboard stuff, gates, comps, FX unit. I still use it for live sound but in the studio it's a table. but I do have a really cool looking board and FX rack!:eek:

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies. So, this mixer isn't going to be helpful for recording, however, what about a digital mixer? I'm planning on getting the Yamaha MG16XU digital mixing console - is it possible to rig this up to use record onto Cubase, or mix my tracks in Cubase?

For the record, the MG16XU isn't a digital mixer. It's an analogue mixer with a 2 channel analogue to digital converter to feed the main mix (and only the main mix--not individual channels) to a computer. As such, it's not much good for what you want. The return from the computer via USB is also only a single stereo pair, not suitable for mixing.

As others have said, a mixer isn't usually the best way to get into home recording unless you have deep pockets or a specific need for a mixer (such as doing live performances as well as home recording. For basic recording, something like a Tascam US 1800 would give you 8 channels for recording--for mixing you'd probably do it "in the box" in Cubase.

Hmmm...back to basics here. You asked about analogue to digital converters and whether you need some. Yes. Sound is an analogue signal--waves travelling through air then converted by your microphone to an electrical signal that varies in both amplitude (level) and frequency. Computers only hand digital signals--a series of zeroes and ones--and the role of the A to D converter is to sample the analogue signal and provide the computer with the digits it needs. You need one A to D for each channel you wish to record (multiple A to D converters are often built into a single box like the US 1800). The other thing to consider is how the information gets from your converters (in whatever form) to your computer. Common ways to do this are USB, Firewire and Ethernet, with USB being by far the most common in home studios.

The problem with both the mixers you've named is that they're not designed primarily for recording and don't give you direct outputs so you can feed individual tracks for a computer--only an already-mixed stereo feed (and, with the EMX, you still need A to D converters as well).

If, for whatever reason, you decide you still need a mixer, look at some of the Presonus range (make sure you get one with direct outs), things like the Allen and Heath Zed R16 or maybe a Behringer x32. However, you'll spend more than you would for an interface and it'd probably still be better to mix "in the box" than try to manually fly the faders.

The EMX300 is a "powered" mixer, i.e. it can drive loudspeakers and is therefore even more geared toward live usage than many others as has been said.

It is getting on a bit (no +48V that I can see?) and with just 250W per channel would today would cope as a vocal PA but little more. I also doubt that its noise performance is going to be good enough in this digital recording world?

So yes, the Tassy 1800 is about the only multitrack game in town unless you are well flushed. However!
DO play around with that mixer! Never hurts to learn how stuff interacts. Don't hook up any feeble "hi-fi" speakers, it'll blow 'em. Anything for guitar, kbd or bass rated at 100W 8 or 16 Ohms should be fine (and bloody loud!)

Dave.

Back