Alternative To The Yamaha MD8? Advice Please.

ziggerzagger

Ok here goes. Basically I play digital piano and do a bit of singing and write my own material BUT for my own entertainment only. At present I do some home recording using a Yamaha MD8 which is of course a Minidisc recorder. It’s an 8 track recorder and is just the ticket for myself in other words quite basic and fairly easy to operate…nothing too difficult for me thank you! I would though like to move onto a more modern format than minidisc. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for please? I would prefer it to be on the same lines though as the MD8 though, in other words with the good old slider controls and nice easy basic operating. I do not intend to do any professional work whatsoever, I just love the idea of being able to write my own stuff and record when it suits. It’s just me, my digital piano with a microphone and adding extra vocals where required. Thanks, all advice gladly appreciated.

Well, there are some good used 8 track digital machines around such as the Zoom R8, The Tascam DP 008, The Boss BR 800, The Boss BR 600, The Zoom MRS 802 and many others. If you just type in "8 track digital recorders/multitracks", you'll find a carnival of crude delights that will whet your appetite and give you the kind of choice and selection problems that are actually welcome in life !

The Fostex MR-8 uses a compact flash card and runs on batteries. You can transfer the card to a card reader on your PC or import WAV files over a cable. Judging from photos of the MD8, it's probably also a bit smaller. I don't think they make it anymore, but there are used ones all over the place. If you get one, I have the firmware upgrade for it.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone's advice it is appreciated. I've ended up going for the Fostex MR8-HD, read a lot of good reviews on this machine so i plumbed for that in the end. Just hope it's a good choice when i receive it. Thanks again!

Hi, i have songs recorded years ago on 140MB MD data disc using Yamaha MD8. My recorder is broken, i think its the recorder/play head. Is there another recorder that will read the minidisc and play all 8 tracks or is there a way to transfer individual tracks to computer? I could not find a decent MD8 online.

Hi, i have songs recorded years ago on 140MB MD data disc using Yamaha MD8. My recorder is broken, i think its the recorder/play head. Is there another recorder that will read the minidisc and play all 8 tracks or is there a way to transfer individual tracks to computer? I could not find a decent MD8 online.

Unfortunately, I think it'll be a case of patience until a unit comes along on eBay...

Back